BLOOMS 2011 CONTINUES......

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Please post pictures of your blooming bulbs of 2011.

Thumbnail by Cem9165
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Natasha, here's tulip Akebono as promised.

Thumbnail by Cem9165
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Tulip La Courtine, muscari and Narcissus Tahiti

Thumbnail by Cem9165
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Hyacinthoides Excelsior. I can't wait for these to spread and fill in the area they're planted in.

Thumbnail by Cem9165
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Narcissus Gay Tabor.

Thumbnail by Cem9165
Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Very very nice. Keep them coming. Hope you cut a few tulips that are/were just beginning to open and put them in a vase somewhere near where you like to rest.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi everyone, here is some of mine. It has been like a tradition for me to plant hundreds of Tulip bulbs--last couple of years; I decided to try containers and by pass the large planting. Although, I enjoy the down-sizing spring blooms. I must admit I missed the spring bulbs bed that I had in the front this time of year.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Jon I did take 1 tulip in today that had broken off somehow. I left the rest in the garden, letting them get some of this rain were finally get to see if they'd get taller. The Akebono should have been 20-22 in. tall and it's only 10-12 in. tall. We've not
had rain for several weeks and I believe their suffering, especially with this early heat that we've had.

Lily_love that pot of tulips and pansies is gorgeous. I can't even begin to think of downsizing. I've got so many kinds of tulip bulbs I want to try. This year, my favorite is the Bloomsday mix, it's got great colors. I want to do more of Colorblends mixes next year. Annette

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

Annette, exactly what is Colorblends? I see its advertisement in Fine Gardening magazine but have never looked the website up. I've got my eye on Purple prince and purple flag. If you go visit the blog called A house for the garden (by Kevin Lee Jacobs) He shows some of his beautiful tulip and hyacinth gardens. He told me one was called Purple Flag but every catalog I look that up in, isn't the color of his. Maybe it turns a different color as the blooms age.. whatever it is still beautiful! I had a double yellow tulip and also a group of apricot last year. Don't know why I only had one double yellow tulip. Maybe the squirrell and chipmunks got them.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Hey Pippi, it's www.colorblends.com. I received their catolog in the mail last year, it must have been because I order so many bulbs online that someone must have given them my address. I got the Bloomsday mix tulips, and Narcissus Eudora, Sovereign, Tripartite and Golden Ducat. The bulbs were huge and healthy and they've all done well. Here's Tripartite that's blooming now.

Thumbnail by Cem9165
North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

Hey, great. I was looking at the Colorblends website afew days ago myself and thinking about ordering. I loved looking at their tulip blends. They do say their bulbs are larger than everyone elses andI was wondering if that is true.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Container Tulips et al.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Nice potted tulips Lily, and I love the gazing ball in the pot. Here's Narcissus Taurus, muscari Blue Spike, and Hyacinthoides Excelsior in the background. Taurus seems to be the latest blooming daff, and Extravaganza is taking its time to start blooming.

This message was edited Mar 27, 2011 9:02 PM

Thumbnail by Cem9165
Marble Hill, NY(Zone 6a)

Iris (ret. Harmony) sporting their 'snow hats'

Thumbnail by jxmas
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Like I've mentioned, I do miss my bed of Tulips and other spring bulbs. The containers planting turned out quite nice however.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Daffodils

Thumbnail by jmorth
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Lily_love I do love the Spring blooming bulbs in pots as well. Jmorth, your daffodils are beautiful. Jxmas, your irises sporting their snow hats are too adorable. Here's a friend for them. Yes we do get snow in GA.

Thumbnail by Cem9165
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Here are some of my blooming bulbs in pots.

Thumbnail by Cem9165
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Cem, very nice. Here is the best my Tulips had turned out so far.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Very very nice everyone. I'm enjoying looking at the pictures. I like the way the yard is laid out Lily. It reminds me of back home at mom and dads.

I have some crocus still blooming.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

And I have these tiny blue flowers. I think they are called Scilla.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

Nice. Interesting to see the differences in what is now blooming from North to South. In the beginning phase with crocus in the Northeast, moving forward to daffodils in the Midwest, a couple weeks further ahead to the tulips in the Deep South, and moving even further along to the first Daylily blooms today in South Florida.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

That's why it's so nice we enjoy DG. We get to share other's gardener experience in the season and see how they vary.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

some more forced builbs - Jaap Goot, a Darwin tulip

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Itzim

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

and Derringer

Thumbnail by jmorth
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Very pretty jmorth, how did you do your forced bulbs?

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Refrigeratored them for 3 months.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Bravo jmorth! That's one way to enjoy lots of springbulbs without worry about the elemental condition outdoor. How creative!

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

I think I'm going to try forcing some bulbs for next year! I just recently found about 30 tulip bulbs in the garage and I just put them in a pot....not sure what will happen. I may end up replacing them this fall but they were sprouting so thought they might grow. Doubt they will bloom, but can't hurt to try!

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the info about forcing bulbs jmorth. I'm going to try that this year. Here's tulip Lilac Wonder and muscari Ocean Magic. It's a cute minature tulip.

Thumbnail by Cem9165
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Here's Pink Impression, and what looks like a sport of Sancerre. Tulip Sancerre should be a solid golden yellow.

Thumbnail by Cem9165
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Here's tulip Dordgone, Narcissus Gay Tabor, Thalia in the background, and a Dutch iris which is not the color that I ordered.

Thumbnail by Cem9165
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Narcissus My Story. It has lovely green streaks on the white perianth with a double, ruffled peachy orange white center.

Thumbnail by Cem9165
Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

Ooooo - I like how your narcussus "My Story" is more orange than the more common peachy-pink I see. How do you keep up with so many bulbs? ! ;)
Do you let them all naturally die back "as is", or do you tie them first, as I've seen others do? About when in your area are you able to cut back all the dead foliage?

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

I was horrible last year and cut my Narcissus before the leaves turned brown. I did give them bulb fertilizer in the Fall and already this Spring, and I wll leave them
till the leaves turn brown.

Wow, love the white Narcissus. My dad used to plant some bulbs for forcing in containers and leave them outside under the porch in the fall. Rain would still makes it way through the deck and into the containers so they wouldn't dry out. Starting in January he would start bringing them in every week or two so you always have something close to blooming in one of the pots.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Jon, and what a great memory for you. I commandeered the fridge in my basement to store bulbs till I was able to plant them outside last fall. Now I'm going to have to make some room for some potted bulbs to be forced. It would seem that this method could be done anywhere in the country. Annete

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

couple more forcers - Delibes & Mickey Mouse

Thumbnail by jmorth

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.