Adding fresh compost to vegetable garden

Fern Park, FL(Zone 9b)

I swear I read somewhere that it's not good to add freshly made compost to a veggie garden, but now I can't seem to find the site I read it on. It said to wait an extra month or two after the compost is finished before using it in a vegetable garden. I can't figure out the logic in this. Hoping someone can enlighten me ;)
Thanks!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

But if the compost is finished, whats the point? I can't imagine why you would have to wait another month. Sometimes what you read is just wrong.

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

I have been using freshly finished compost on my garden for years. I dumped some on two raised beds a few days ago, too. I even put fresh kitchen scraps into holes around the garden all summer so it can compost on the spot.

Central, TX(Zone 8b)

I usually mix in compost 2 weeks ahead of planting seeds or transplants just to give the newly mixed compost a chance to "mellow" in the garden soil - less chance of burning roots if its slightly unfinished.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

I had heard that about some kinds of fresh manure, but never about compost.

Maybe they are afraid of weeds and want to give them time to sprout in the pile instead of in your garden?

Corey

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

'Finished" in compost is such a grey area (ok brown)

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

Personally, I consider compost "finished" when I can no longer recognize the individual pieces.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.