Help! My fruit trees arrived too early!

Harwinton, CT

I ordered two dwarf apple trees from Henry Field Nurseries. I've ordered from them for quite a few years and have always been more than satisfied with them. Anyway, they just arrived at my house up here in northwestern Connecticut. I won't be able to get these trees into the ground until later next month. They're dormant. What do I do with them to keep them until I can get them planted? Do I keep them dormant? And how? If I put them into a bucket of water right away they'll come out of dormancy soon and then what. I've got a neat little orchard going out back and I don't want to lose these due to the wrong care. Any advice?

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

did they ship them earlier than your requested delivery date? If so i would contact them and ask for their advice and get the name of the person you spoke with if something goes wrong.

if you keep them cold they should stay dormant - or i would soke them and plant in a container in the gargage and plant out in May. that is what i have done with a jm i received although it has a root structure. might not be so easy to move a bareroot tree with fresh roots..........

Thomaston, CT

If your ground is not frozen, plant the trees....they will come out of dormancy naturally....I read an article on roses that said you could plant them anytime the ground wasn't frozen, & they're the same family....

Harwinton, CT

Robindog. . .

I thought of that but the area where I had in mind to plant them is still rough with roots and wild growth that we were going to clear for a few more fruit trees, on a nice south slope too. I've got them down in the cellar where its about 50-55 degrees. I guess the only thing I can think of now is to put them into an area next to my other fruit trees which is what I didn't have in my original plans. It's pretty clear there and my husband has a backhoe so it won't be a problem to do it now. Soooo, that's what I'm goin to have to do.

Thanks a bunch for your input!

Ceil

Thomaston, CT

Good luck with them, Ceil!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.