Need Advise Sweet Peas & Alpine Strawberries

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Greetings All,

I planted alpine strawberry seeds about one month ago. I didn't have any sand so I spread them as evenly as I could in a chicken rotisserie container. I covered them and voila they came up beautifully.
Problem is that I'm pretty sure they are now ready to go into (still small) individual pots. But because of their spacing I don't know how to get them out. The day I planted them I thought I had bookmarked a website showing how to "prick out" them out. Now I can't find the website.

Anyone with bright ideas or experience with "pricking out"

I started my sweet peas inside (I rent a garden space and knew I wouldn't be able to get it tilled and ready early and etc.,) Now the sweet peas are growing and I recall reading that pinching them at a certain stage will cause them to bush out. (Another lost website:)

Thanks Much for Your Help!
Cheers!
Marlene

Thumbnail by Marlene4
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Can't help you with the strawberries, but as far as your sweet peas are concerned, here's how I've done it for years: I pinch them when I see the first tendrils forming...which is usually after they've developed 3 sets of leaves. You'll see the beginnings of the tendrils very plainly.

If I've started a lot of seeds, sometimes I don't even bother piching them. I just plant them closer together and they fill in faster, too. I'm assuming you started yours in containers or 6 packs. (???) If so, be careful when you plant them not to disturb their roots...that seems to "set them back" a few weeks.

Thanks JasperDale,

I thought I saw a small tendril forming on one of these. I will definitely pinch. (I don't have a bunch of seedlings).
Actually, I started some in these long "root trainers" ; for others, I experimented with filing a peat pot; then setting jiffy peat disk on top and setting the seed in the disk. What has happened is that the roots have a deeper place to grow. The root trainers work best but, I decided not to buy more this year.
I see you live in California. Have you ever tried the "heat tolerant" sweet pea varietis?

Cheers!
Marlene

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

I did try the supposed "heat tolerant" varieties once, and they fried anyway...so I never attempted them again. Given how delicate and thin the petals on sweet peas are, they just don't withstand 85* plus temperatures. Now I only grow the spring flowering ones.

JasperDale,
Do you think its OK to pinch them after the first tendrils appear? I ask cause some of these have gotten quite long already.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Yes. (How long is "quite long" ???)
If you pich them back, leave at least 3 sets of leaves.

JasperDale,

Long in this case is about 6 inches. These long ones have about 8 leaves each.
Still hope for pinching:) ?
M

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.