Is this early bloom usual

Saluda, SC(Zone 8a)

I was very surprised to find these type bloom stalks on an entire border of Bearded Iris this morning. According to my records my Iris have always begun showing first flush of bloom about mid April with full flush coming about April 20.

Why are they seemingly so early this year. Any body know or want to venture an explanation.

These are all plants I have grown for 5+ years.

Thumbnail by gessieviolet
Saluda, SC(Zone 8a)

I find this rather interesting. In the past daffodils have been fading by time Iris start to show; daffodils are not even in prime yet!

Thumbnail by gessieviolet
Concord, NC(Zone 7a)

Yes, it is Early, White Iris Albicans are always Early Bloomers and the first to Bloom in my Yard but they usually dont bloom till like the last week of April, not blooming out till the first weeks of May. But everything is Blooming like 4-6 weeks early in my yard this year, i think due to the really warm spell this last month or two. My Daffodils though are fading a tiny bit though. But My Daylily shoots are almost full grown and came up way way early this year too and the forsythias and wild pink eastern redbuds are blooming way to early also..amazing..mike :-)

South Hamilton, MA

You must have had enough moisture & warm water to bring them on. Are they tall beardeds or the shorter medians.

Saluda, SC(Zone 8a)

I think this a bed of tall bearded. I have all kinds but do not remember, from year to year, until they bloom which is which. Started out keeping detailed records....that fell by the wayside.

I don't sell them so that method works for me.

These are in a raised bed that I would guess warms pretty fast. Hmmm!

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

I'm experiencing the same thing, I went to check on the tulips and daffodils blooming and found a tb in the front of the house with bloom stalks. These didn't bloom till late April or early May last year. All the plants here are confused with the unseasonably warm weather and are blooming much earlier this year. Here's my tb about to bloom with the tulips and daffodils that are in full bloom.

Thumbnail by Cem9165
South Hamilton, MA

It just wants company.

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

That is a great picture of the iris with the tulips. Not used to seeing that! I know it was warm but didn't it get cold again? It got cold again up here that's for sure.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

I agree Rita, I've never had my irises, tulips, and daffodils blooming at the same time. Here's another bloom stalk emerging on another iris, which I found today. If we get freezing weather again these blooms will be killed. Just getting some well needed rain here today.

Thumbnail by Cem9165

I hope they don't get killed off by a freeze. It would be really interesting to see a TB Iris in full bloom with the tulips :-))

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

I believe that will be happening this year. It's even more open today, after I watered the area yesterday, plus rain today. I'll post a picture when it's fully open.

Thumbnail by Cem9165

It is going to look really beautiful. Strange happenings but pretty ones!

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

That is going to be beautiful with the tulips. Hope no freezes too.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

It opened, yipeee!!!! All the rain yesterday really helped.

Thumbnail by Cem9165
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Simply gorgeous and welcome! Enjoy.

Hey, great! What a show with the tulips blooming with the iris. Fantastic.

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

Thst id so pretty. Looks like Easter with the tulips.

Saluda, SC(Zone 8a)

Cem, I noticed your iris seem to be in a bed that is mulched. I have always heard that would not work for iris since they need the sun to bake the rhizome in order to produce blooms.

Being a questioner of most traditions, I placed mine in mulched beds this past year when I reset them to see what would happen. If you mulch do you see any effect on the iris?.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Gessieviolet, the bed is mulched but not the iris. The rhizome is exposed to the sun. I pull all the pine straw away from all of my irises so that they can get the sun, even in my back bed. Annette

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.