Bloom Buds

Starkville, MS

I have noticed that a number of my hydrangeas have bloom buds (about the size of an English pea) on the ends of many stems. This is the earliest that I remember seeing them in my area ---Zone 7. We have had unusually high temperatures for several weeks------in the 80's. Has any one else noticed this?

Shirleyd

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I'm in zone 6b. I have 2 wild hydrangeas that I found out in the woods, but they are just now showing leave buds. I am so excited to see them flower this year. I missed them in full bloom last year. The flowers were all dryed up when I found them. I had to rescue them as they are clearing the land where they were.

Manassas, VA(Zone 7b)

Several of my Hydrangeas have sprung several large leaves at the base of the plant. Our weather in Virginia has not been that great this year. I also noticed that several of my layer ones are showing great recovery from the winter & should be a very good size plant to trade.

Starkville, MS

And, I need to add more. In spite of some of my hydrangeas having unusually early bloom buds, I also have more dead stems than ever before. Many of my large, old hydrangeas have completely dead stems-----but producing green leaves at the bottom. Of course, this means to me that the plant is alive-----but, something caused the old stems (with bloom potential) are dead--------------so, very few blooms this year. Does anyone else have a similar situation?

Shirleyd

(Did have a very hot summer----and very cold winter.)

Willis, TX(Zone 9a)

I too, have older hydrangeas with several dead canes that are unexpected. I also have one with borer holes like those on roses. I haven't seen this before. I also have blossom buds on two mop heads already and this is too early. Not sure what is going on.

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

The weather we had this year has resulted in more dead dry canes than usual. Sometimes the soft center of the cane decomposes and leaves the "hollow" look. You can prune the cane off or wait until mid-to-late May to make sure it does not leaf out late from the lower parts. Blossom buds have been reported by people in Florida already so I would not worry if some appear here too, provided there are no late frosts.

Willis, TX(Zone 9a)

Luis--many thanks. As usual, you are a font of knowledge and please know how appreciated you are here. Jan

Stewart, TN

I am a newcomer to hydrangeas. Three years ago I planted 4 blue lacecaps. They were coming along pretty well but then this year we had a period of unusually early warm weather, during which they produced leaf buds, followed by frosts which created some dry canes. Now the poor things are leafing out from the roots. Do you think they will be okay? Is there anything I can do to help them? Thank you in advance.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

The plants themselves will be fine, but the late frost may have frozen off the flower buds so you may not get blooms this year, or may get fewer than usual depending on how bad the damage was. There are one or two reblooming lacecap cultivars so if yours is one of those then it could bloom later in the year on new growth, but most lacecaps only bloom on old wood.

Stewart, TN

Thank you for your help - I'm glad at least the plants will ultimately be all right. The more I garden the more I learn patience.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.