Will fumes harm tomato seedlings?

Delhi, IA(Zone 4b)

I recently started tomatoes from seed. About one week after they germinated and I removed the plastic lid, my husband decided to seal the cement floor in an area adjacent to where I am growing my 20 + flats of assorted plants, including the two flats of tomatoes. The fumes are quite strong. The floor has needed multiple coats, so the fumes have been present for at least three days. I've got fans running in the room and have ventilated it as much as possible, and there is a fan directing the fumes out another window, but the odor is still fairly strong. All the "babies" that have germinated are still looking good. My question is, will there be any risk of eating the tomatoes from seedlings exposed to the fumes?
Thanks, wd

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I'm no expert by any means but I vote "no" on risk from the fumes. What about all the tomatoes that grow outside in all the air pollution? What about all the different sprays and insecticides that are actually used on edible plants?

Anyway, try asking your question on the tomato forum and maybe Dr. Carolyn Male can answer it for you.

Delhi, IA(Zone 4b)

Thanks, I didn't realize there was a tomato forum. I will try asking there.

wd

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi wd, welcome to the tomato forum! How are the "babies" holding up?

Toni

Delhi, IA(Zone 4b)

So far, so good for the "babies". Just wondering when I can begin watering from the bottom. I've been misting thus far. They seem to be at the stage at which they start to get rather dry quickly. (Or at least some flats - others don't seem to dry as fast even though I've used the same type of seed starting medium.) But maybe that's because I've now got the fan blowing on them.

Middleton, WI(Zone 4b)

The issue isn't tomatoes it is the kind of sealant (chemicals in it) and whether / how those may be absorbed. What did you read on his sealant container for warnings? Personally I wouldn't risk if if the sealant and/or the sealant fumes are considered toxic to humans.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I could have swore that this thread was moved to the tomato forum where I welcomed you and now it's back here again or maybe I was in the wrong forum, but anyway good to see that Dr. Carolyn answered you. I hope you feel more at ease and can now enjoy the anticipation of beautiful maters!

Toni

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.