Folks, I could use some cuttings

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I got many responses, very quickly. I think that I am loaded up on cuttings. Thanks everyone.

I hope to be able to return the favor as the summer progresses!

This message was edited Mar 22, 2011 3:24 PM

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Please Dmail me your address. It's still cold here with snow expected on Wednesday but I can mail them out next Monday - my pleasure for all the cuttings you sent me and so many other DG'ers.

Thumbnail by pirl
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

dmail me as well.. they won't be your plants but I have others

Same here. Glad to see the Northeast quick response!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

did promise to return the favor when the time was right

Yes, we both did and we're happy to help Dale now.

Alexandria, OH(Zone 5b)

D-mail me your address, Dale.

Hope you get lots of them, Dale. You were very genrous with us. I wish I had some to send you!

Mount Laurel, NJ

I've never mailed cuttings, but I guess I could give it a try. Send me your address.
Are there any particular ones you'd like? These are what I have:

http://mtlaurelgardenclub.tripod.com/coleus3/coleustable3.htm

Except 'greenings yellow' died, and I don't want to take cuttings of 'copper' as I only have one small plant. It seems VERY hard to propagate!

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

Dale I would do it in a heartbeat if I could. I lost every single coleus I had last winter to mealy bugs. Over 100 varieties. I kind of took a break, but now I'm ready to get some more in here too. I miss them. :))

Juanita

Danville, IN

Juanita: Next winter, be sure to use a systemic on your coleus. I haven't lost a single plant or rooted cutting in three years. If you use the Bayer 12-month systemic, they are protected all winter with one application when you treat them in the fall. Not a sign of mealybugs or white fly ever!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

never saw that one.. will keep my eyes open for it... thanks

Mount Laurel, NJ

When do you think it would be safe to mail cuttings to points south? I am in NJ close to Philadelphia and we have snow predicted for today, so I think I should wait awhile.

My aim is for Monday. Should be fine then if we wrap them well.

Mount Laurel, NJ

I will probably send mine out in about a week. Dale, I saw of picture of your 'grape expectations' in an earlier post. My plant doesn't look like that. Maybe it's 'stained glass'. It's one that didn't come with a label, so my name on that one is just "simialr to".

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Glad your back

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Coleuslover, I have never been good on keeping track of the names...

GE, good to be back in the mix.

Mount Laurel, NJ

I've been having trouble with mealy bugs, but I'll be sure to thoroughly wash the cuttings before I mail any, so hopefully it won't be a problem. Anytime I see any bugs, I swab them with alcohol then spray the plant with insecticidial soap. I thought I had them licked and was so upset to find them again on several plants yesterday. I finally bought some of the Bayer tree and shrub systemic and put that on a few. I hope it's ok to use that on a little 2 inch pot! I just did about 10 of them so I'll wait about a week and see how they take it. I don't mind the work it takes to water and trim all these little beauties, but I'm sure getting discouraged when I have to deal with these bugs! I'm definetly going to winter fewer next year.

Danville, IN

If you put the systemic on in late fall, you will have no insect problems at all. Don't get discouraged!

Hi, Dale! I'll send a few cuttings if you wish, let me know. I have several plants that do not bloom, wheee. Of a total of only about 15 or 20 kinds of Coleus. I'm a Desert Rose nut now.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I am good for now, but, maybe later in the year?

Still somewhat spring like weather here>

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Those are beauties

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

And they came out sideways....hmmmm.

Here is a high water, high maintenance plant, Clerodendrum.

It's gorgeous. How tall does it get in sunny Florida and does it come in other colors?

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Were you close to the tornado?

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Pirl, Up to 6', loves heat and water. Does well in a container, but, you would have to keep it on a heating pad most of the year.

Sharon, No tornados within 40 miles of me in Tampa. Just lots of rain - and we needed it.

I am looking forward to the day when I will have some new coleus photos, an old one will just have to do.

This message was edited Apr 1, 2011 7:06 PM

That's a bit tall but still worthy of asking our local nursery guy about them. He's so knowledgeable and so professional.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Arlene,

Clerodendrum has a very long season of bloom, 4-5 months.

Here below is one that I love also. Purple Firespike, very short bloom season (maybe 2 months). I bet it would do better as summer container/winter house plant. It reminds me (vaguely) of the Lilacs from my youth. Now if it only had the smell that lilac have, ahhh, it would be perfect.

Unlike its cousin Red Firespike, the purple has not suffered any damage in the last two brutal winters that we had here in Tampa.

Very pretty, Dale. Reminds me of some flower but I can't come up with a name.

Were you raised where the lilacs bloom? We love the scent of them.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

My mis-spent youth was in Minneapolis.

I fled that city for South Texas as soon as I was able.

I have been living in Palm tree country ever since. Central TX, Northern CA, South Florida.....

Aha! Then you know the beauty of joy of the snow. That's the optimistic view of it.

Sounds as though you headed for the heat. We tried two weeks in Texas (Austin, San Marcos, San Antonio) and had one great day followed by two weeks of rain/ice/sleet. That was back in 2003.

I'm just guessing Florida is your favorite place.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Well Dale, I was raised in this small mining town in Pioche, Nevada. I hve often told this tale and always got a laugh.

Pioche was a very small town of about 400 people. We went to high school with two other small towns down the road. My graduation class had 29 classmates.

I tell everyone, one day before graduation, I packed my bag,. The next day was graduation and the next day I was down the road. If not, I was stuck there the rest of my life. My brother, 1 year younger, still lives there and loves it. Not my style. One mile above sea level, and you would need to marry as cattle farmer.. Not my style. Sharon

Mount Laurel, NJ

Ha ha, loved your story Worms! Maybe because I did the same thing from Michigan. Couldn't wait to get out of those horrible long cold winters. I headed out for San Diego where I lived for 12 years. Unfortunately, I ended up here on the East coast after a stint in Utah. My kids are pretty entrenched in this area so I'll probably never leave. At least I can always say, "IT'S BETTER THAN LIVING IN MICHIGAN!"

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Sharon,

It is a good story.

I am certain this is not coleus>

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

Quote from DaleTheGardener :
My mis-spent youth was in Minneapolis.

I fled that city for South Texas as soon as I was able.

I have been living in Palm tree country ever since. Central TX, Northern CA, South Florida.....

LOL! What's wrong with Minneapolis...wait...which part?! LOL!
Would you like some cuttings of lilac? I have 10 shrubs in the yard. The "standard purple" one's that remind me of grandma.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Coleuslover123, You live in a beautiful area. I worked for a small mortgage company, Margaretten, which was purchased by Chemical, which was purchased by Travelers, which was purchased by Chase. Stayed in the same office for 35 years. They just kept changing the name on the door.

I was in New Jersey/New York many times. I was in your area several times and it is beautiful. Sharon.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

minnesippi,

Mpls is a fine city, except for the fact that they tore down almost all the nice brownstone bldgs, chopped up the city with freeways and have lost 45% of the population over the last 40 yrs. It still has some charm left, especially over by the Falls (were I grew up) and along the Parkway.

I will pass on the Lilac cuttings - lilac's perform best in zones 3-7. They wouldn't last a single summer here in zone 10a.

Rain lilies don't grow in the gardens in MN>

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I love rain lilies. Except here irrigation get them to bloom instead of rain.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Love the purple creeping plant Dale

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I like almost all the forms of Tradescantia, they make a great groundcover.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.