Please help identify

Orlando, FL

I was given some amaryllis bulbs last year, he thought they were pink. They are not. I do not mind that part, he was not sure. I think maybe Christmas Star? I am not sure of what details to look at to help me figure out what I have. I do love them.

Thumbnail by Moofiepoo
Orlando, FL

Here is another one I got that simply said pink on the side of the pot. It is more of a peachy pink to me. VERY pretty, just hoping to find out what it really is. Thanks all.

Thumbnail by Moofiepoo
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Measure the diameter across the face of your red and white bloom, from tip to opposite tip. That is one of the most important characterisitcs in IDing an unknown. There are several red and white cultivars that have an under 5" bloom. Christmas Star is certainly a possibility, if the flower is small. If the flower is larger than 5" or so, then you are looking at a whole different group of red and white cultivars. Nothing jumps off the pages of my photo albums as looking exactly like your bloom. Unfortunately the all red, and red and white, blooms are the hardest ones to positively ID, since there are so many. The pink flower is most likely Appleblossom, since that is the most common
unlabeled pink sold in the USA.

Solingen, Germany(Zone 7a)

The first flower is an unnamed heirloom hybrid. Although the white midribs are narrower than in "Christmas Star" I like it much better. Its beauty competes easily with that of other contemporary miniatures such as BabyStar, Estrela, and Fairy Tale. Thus, consider it "precious". .
The second is "Appleblossom" - with veined pink, broad white midribs, ring of dark red dots in the center, lower half almost white. Flowerr diameter up to 30 cm is possible. Seldom if at all does it produce seeds. But its pollen would very well induce seed production on your jheirloom hybrid lol just an idea...

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

I agree with you about the first bloom. At the time I made my reply, I was wondering if it could be one of the unnamed heritage or "pass along" cultivars found in southern yards. It didn't quite match up with the photos of cultivars that are currently in the marketplace. Perhaps someday it will produce enough bulblets, that you can pass on to someone else.

Orlando, FL

The flower was good size, about the size of my hand spread wide and I have large hands. Another one of the smaller bulbs have bloomed and they look alike except that the last one has smaller blooms, but the bulb is much smaller than the first. I did think Appleblossom with the Pink and white. I am very happy with both of them. The pink and white has a really nice scent, stronger as it gets dark.

Thanks so much for your input. I was helping clean up some yards and thinning things out. Now I have several dozen bulbs I get to wait and see what kinds. Amaryllis yes, no idea what color or anything else. I am having fun finding out though.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.