What to expect from Boweia nana?

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I am not familiar with this plant but couldn't resist trying some of the little bulbs. One now has new growth. The other one in this pot is still firm but no growth yet. The other little pot has three firm bulbs in it with no new growth on any of those.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Decatur, GA

Mine likes water and bright light. It blooms in the late summer/early fall with a long flower stalk for many small white stripped flowers. It makes lots of bulblets and they fill the pot over time.
Helen

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Another shot.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Oops, cross posted with you, helenchild.

I have been watering fairly frequently and letting the soil dry. It is sitting next to a south window so does get the bright light. Do you stake it or ?

Yardley, PA

Have had the Bowiea volubilis for years. Very easy to grow. Will grow on and off all year round. Just starting to grow again.

Thumbnail by Sally0
Yardley, PA

I just use a coat hanger to stake it. Mine is in semi hydroponics so it has water all year round. It has been under lights all winter. I will put it outside for the summer in full sun.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Great! Will B. nana take full sun also?

Yardley, PA

In looking up B. nana, it seems to be the same plant as the B. volubilis. It can take full or part sun.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thank you for all the info. ^_^

Decatur, GA

I was mistaking this for Ornithogalum longibracteatum, or pregnant onion. The B. volubilis (sea onion) is nice too but has little tiny flowers on their long climbing stems. Mine is flowering now. I don't stake it per se but I fine it something to climb up on. Same thing I guess. When bulb reaches some critical point it splits in to two. It grows more in the winter and likes plenty of water then.
Helen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.