Omoshiro: The first arrivals and blooms of 2011

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

We've been anxiously awaiting the arrival of our Omoshiro clematis from Brushwood so here's the place to show them off and let others see those beautiful blossoms.

These two were the very first blooms on our Omoshiro 7/20/08:

Thumbnail by pirl
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Here's the first bloom on mine. Not as big as Arlelne's but this plant is still very small. I'm planning on growing it up through a Burgundy Iceberg rose. This thread will be interesting for comparing the color of the blooms based on age and location.

Thumbnail by JasperDale

Wonderful.

Should be excellent with the rose! Take more photos as they bloom together. Thanks.

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

My new baby is blooming. I am excited about getting the others at the end of this month. I ordered more that bloom later in the season since most of mine now bloom earlier.

Thumbnail by marie_kap

Lovely, Marie. That lavender reverse will be a deep pink when it's outside.

What are the names of the others you ordered?

Buds are expanding on all the ones I received in June and Tibetana is the one I'm most curious about. I hope it blooms as nicely as Brushwood's photo of it.

Thumbnail by pirl

I will have to get back to you on what I ordered. I seem to have misplaced the order sheet. But they will be in soon and I will let you know. If they all would only look as well as they do on the web sites.

Athens, PA

Oh Arlene- that is so pretty. I love the yellow.

Thanks, Marie.

I'm hoping for an area of yellow where I planted it to brighten up the very light shade there. I was thrilled beyond words to see it adapted and it's growing.

It's amusing what thrills gardeners in spring.

Thumbnail by pirl

Ok , I found the order from brushwoods.

1-Mrs Cholmondeley
2-Niobe
3-Dutchess of Albany
4-Blue Angel

This my second order.

Good job! You're on a good spending spree, Marie.

Richmond Hill, GA

Mine opened this week.

Thumbnail by cattjovi

Glorious. Are you happy with it?

Thanks Pirl... Of course dear Hubby has no idea how much I spend each spring. So when he says,,, honey can I buy this, I say sure you can have that...lol

You should be the role model for all gardeners, Marie.

I'm applauding and hope you can hear me!

I put down some fertilizer today,of course not knowing that we were going to have a deluge of rain tonight...lol

You didn't harm a thing - don't worry.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

It was probably even better. Rainwater and fertilizer...yummy for those roots

How about snow ?, is that good for the roots too...lol Yes it is snowing this morning in South NJ. everything is going to go into shock from the cold air.

Snow is good for the plants but bad for the spirits.

Have no fear, it will be gone by May.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

I bought Clematis this year from Brushwood and the plants are very good-sized. Omoshiro had a bud on it that is blossoming in my kitchen even as we speak! I lost several Clematis to wilt last year. I got them from a warmer climate and we had a long, cool spring. That's happening again this year (last year by this time we'd had many days that at least hit 60. This year we've had two, yesterday and today), so I'm keeping my clems inside for awhile and enjoying Omoshiro immensely.

Terrific. That's the kind of glowing report we love to hear.

They want cool, damp roots so if you're concerned about too much rain then just put a lot of gravel at the bottom of the deep hole and you should do just fine.

Many of my clematises have risen from what appeared to be death, so keep the faith.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

The others were actually in large pots with excellent drainage. They just wilted after several days of rain. I gave them last summer to come back, but haven't seen much. I think it's also a problem with the cold. Dunno. But thanks for the good word, Pirl!

I had a dream that I'd found a second bud on my Omoshiro, but woke to find that it was only one. I can't get enough, I guess!

Uh oh! Dreaming about more buds is a good sign. It means you're hooked.

Never give up on any clematis you've ever planted. I'm not the only one to have seen them resurrect from what I was certain was death.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.