Will I have a CHANCE ?? ....

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

....with rooting those stems ?
The guy who build and put up my fence last fall broke my tallest white Peony,my pride and joy ! almost 3 1/2 ft tall.
Our snow has melted the last few days and I spotted some snowdrops peeking through the snow when I looked and saw that they were 3 more broken stems laying in the snow.They have big fat buds on them ,so I brought them in and put them in water fro now.I am heading out to see if I find some rooting powder at the nursery nearby.

What is everyones opinion ? can it be saved ?
Thanks.

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Well it is always worth a try!

I have never heard of rooting peonies from stems but my knowledge in that area is pretty much non existant!

But the root should still be fine even though the stems were broken off. The stems are always cut back fall or spring anyway!

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

How timely this thread is. As fancyvan indicated, I often trim my tree peonies when they get too tall. I normally just toss them out, but decided to stick a few stems into a pot in which there was some space. That was maybe 3-4 months ago - just out of curiosity, I just went out to check on them. Of the three stems, 2 had a few tiny roots growing. So, there is hope. What did not work for me was when I tried to move a tree peony a few years back - whole thing just died. I should have tried to root the stems from that one before transplanting.

Kansas City, MO

I have done it with a stem larger than these. Allow the stem end to dry over before putting in anything. At this time of the year try to make a hole in the ground and just cover about 3-5 inches of the stem. I did not use rooting compound because I did not think the stem would live. Since you have several you might try with and without the compound to see which works best.

Good luck on saving your branches.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Ah is that a tree peony? Then of course you would not be cuting the stems down every year I think? ( Dont grow them myself so rather ignorant ) And I think the roots are quite different from herbacious .

Keep us posted!

Kansas City, MO

Yes it is a tree peony. You need to check for a cheapie to experiment with. Over the years although I purchase most from the various peony clubs, either at one of the auctions or HPS's fall sale I have found nice experimental subjects at our Lowes. Don't know if you have them in your area of Canada but the stock should be in a 4 inch cardboard tube. Normally on the bottom of a rack away from the regular spring stuff.

Even better perhaps someone on here from another part of Canada could gift you with a plant. Just plant deeper than you think it should be planted to allow roots to come out of the stem to establish a stronger plant.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Sorry eglantyne, that has to suck. I found one of my herbaceous ones today with the stems broken off (it has already sprouted). Fortunately was a new planting last fall. I wish you luck.

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

I am sweating the damage mice did to my tree peonies; stripped the bard to 6" from the ground. buds are safe. Two two year azaleas are GONE, down to the ground. I hope they will send up new shoots, but of course, no flowers for a year or so. Tempted to dig them up and plant peonies, H or I or T

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Mstella, so glad to see your post. I hope you are OK.

My husband is not averse to putting out stuff to get rid of mice and voles in the warm weather. I hate it when they come into the house in cold weather.

I spray stuff in the garden to make the goodies taste bad. That discourages red lily beetles, deer and bunnies from the lilies hostas, tulips and such. Later on, we use deer netting.

Stay well!

Marcia

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Thanks Marcia. Came through with flying colors. Just a bum gallblader. All done now!! lol I also put some Dcon boxes in the cages but unfortunately too late. I assume that there are still healthy roots so they (alzalea) should regrow. And the trees are pretty healthy so unless the stripped trunks (only about +1/2" thick)succumb to some sort of bug I should be okay. Will watch them very carefully. Off to bed with a nice little percoset to help me sleep.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.