Planting Dahlias for the first time...need companion advice

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I am planting dahlias for the first time and was wondering about what to plant in front of it. First of all when do they bloom typically and when does the foliage start to die back? I want to plant something in front of it so that when the foliage dies back I have something else to camouflage and to take the attention off. Any ideas?

Crystal

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Dahlias normally get quite large and bloom into November, here in zone 7. If you do plant any annuals in front of them please give them 2 to 3' in between the annual and the dahlia.

If they're just border dahlias you can plant closer.

Thanks for the advice. When do they start blooming?

They really want to be planted in warm soil - 55 degrees is on the cool side and that means soil temperature and not air temperature but you have warmer weather where you are than we do.

They should be in bloom 4 to 6 weeks after planting.

How tall do they get, per the package?

I have some Blue Boy 40' and Priceless Pink 30' and Serkan 36'

I'm just throwing out a wild guess that you mean inches and not feet! LOL

Good heights. Will you be staking them? It pays to do it (though we all seem to resent it a bit) so the wind won't break or snap the stems.

You'll do fine putting annuals 2' to 3' in front of the dahlias. Which annuals did you select?

LOL yup I guess I was hitting the wrong button. I think I will stake them...what's the best way and do you wait till they are full grown to tie them to the stake?

Stake them in the rear of the planting hole, just behind where you'll put the tuber. I've hated rebar from the start but it's reliable and now stays in place from year to year.

You don't want to know how many signs I have all over, from this guest room, to the garage and my trug with hand tools that say: TIE UP THE DAHLIAS. They should be continually tied as they grow but we can all watch them for two weeks, nothing much seems to happen and then we conveniently forget until we spot dahlias in bloom and it's sometimes difficult to get our arms around them to tie them.

I may tie strips of old nylons to the stakes even before I plant the dahlias this year in the hopes I'll do better. Good luck!

Do you dig up the tubers every year?

Yes but I have the feeling last year was the last time except for the extra special ones. It's just too much work to dig more than 100, clean them all, store them, etc.

Manchester, TN

I've been lucky here in Zone 7 - I leave my dahlias in the ground all winter, and they have a cover of leaves to keep them warm. I saw some leaves coming out today - could I still dig them up, divide and replant them, and have blooms this summer? They're the tall ones.

Yes, you can.

I'm also in zone 7 but it's just too cold to try it here.

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Have any of you planted Godalias? I bought three today and they are so different. They come from goldfisch. Upright mounding growth habit; they only grow 10-12 inches high. They are single in form and just dramatic in color.

I've never even heard of them. Do you have a photo? I'd love to seee them. Where did you buy them?

I don't have a pic yet as just bought them. I did a google and I guess they come under the 'specialty' heading. When I get home today I will take a pic of the plant tags and upload it.

I took pics but if you google 'goldalias' you will get hits. I mispelled it above. I have Goldalias Scarlett, Orange, and Rose Bicolor. My camera battery crapped out after I took a new series of pictures of the back yard meltdown (still getting rid of snow) and pond (fired up the pressure filters and pumps today). I have a nice heirloom called Blue Dawn that I started indoors as it was ready to grow and it is just about to open up a flower. I thought I had lost all the Blue Dawn tubers I had stored overwinter so was happy to see what color this one was. And I know I started about 6 propagated little ones from this tuber, so now I have many.

Having many of a favorite is a very good thing! Congratulations!

Nineveh, NY(Zone 5a)

mstella-where did you get the goldalia's? The scarlet is beautiful and perfect for pots! Thats what I am looking for.

Pirl-do you have any border dahlias, that would fit in pots? Alls I can seem to find are the tall varieties,dinnerplates,etc.

Erin

I may have some old tubers of some small ones but haven't checked on them since we brought them downstairs in December.

The most reliable short ones, great for pots, are Unwin and Dahlietta. Each of those is just a name that covers many colors and here is just a sample of the plant stake. Sorry for the blurry photo but it will give you some idea of what it looks like. They're available here in May at some large nurseries. Call ahead to avoid wasting your time.

The plants barely get to 12" high and remain full and lush all season long. They're great for pots or borders.

Thumbnail by pirl
Nineveh, NY(Zone 5a)

Thank you Pirl. Thats what I'm looking for. I did find a goldalia on garden crossings that I loved, but it cost more for shipping than the plant! lol. I'll keep an eye out for the dahlietta's. Thanks!

Erin

Nineveh, NY(Zone 5a)

Hey Pirl, would it be alright if I potted up a dahlia now? Its caribbean fantasy and it has some shoots/leaves starting. Thanks!

Erin

Sure, pot it up!

Nineveh, NY(Zone 5a)

thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.