ORVG Coffee House #187.... Super Moon for a Super Spring!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We came from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1158205/

Well Spring 2011 comes in March 20, 7:21 P.M. EDT and tonight we have a Super Moon.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2011/03/110319-supermoon-full-moon-earth-science-space-biggest-closest-brightest/

What a way to ring in Spring 2011!

Thumbnail by henryr10
Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Glad to have a new thread to honor and usher in spring.

I kept busy today doing small things, but all in all it was a good and productive day. I didn't garden any, I have this cwap that is going around, and I really haven't felt all that well.

Janet, I would think Meyers, or Kroger would both order flowers for you. Do you know a florist well enough to see if they would order the flowers wholesale for you? I don't know what I will have blooming, but you are welcome to come raid my beds.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Kroger's is one of the largest flora buyers in the world.
Used to have a friend that was a Florist there but she's moved on to other opportunities.
I know then they used to order for smaller wedding arrangers.
Let me check w/ Neal.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I tried to check out the super moon, but it was hazy here when I first checked, & then when I remembered to go back out, the moon was high in the sky--lovely, but not super :-(

Sorry you're puny, Bonnie. Have you gotten set up for an epidural yet?
Pat

Columbus, OH

Sorry you're not feeling well, Bonnie.

I am celebrating the first day of spring by planting some seed and we'll probably have an egg dish with fresh spring herbs for dinner. I'm thinking a frittata with asparagus, cheese, and herbs with some new potatoes and chives, a salad and freshly baked loaf of bread.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

The Hellebore from the opening post came from Jazz's first Fall RU.

Bonnie I hope you get it sorted out soon!!!

The Anderson Township Garden Tour is June 5th from 10AM-4PM. Don't know if there's a Rain Out Day.
It IS worth the drive.
We're thinking about having a Grill Out here after the Tour.

T-Storm moving in fast. Then we should have smooth sailing the rest of the day.

Time to start thinking about the Spring RU.
Ideas?

Thumbnail by henryr10
Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

Ric, next round up, I want starts off your helebores!!! They are beautiful. I had one, but it turned out to be green and when it bloomed, the blooms were the same color as the foliage. It's just me, but I don't go for green flowers. LOL Welcome Spring!!!!

Very cloudy here the last two nights so no super moon viewings for us.

More rain is in the offing for this week! Ugh! It's either raining or too windy to enjoy being outside.
We have had a total of two nice days so far. I want warm weather and sun shine. Put it on your order list everyone!

Lou

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Bonnie you've got it.
These impressive clumps to the left came originally from Jules.
Hopefully they will seed this year.

COLD HERE 46° w/ a WC of 44°.
Still supposed to be in the 60's today......

I'm off tomorrow..... 'supposed' to be mid 70's!

just marking my place here
happy spring
got a lot of things to do
going to Cookies tomorrow and have a girl play day.
so i m trying to get things done here
but i m not having much luck getting much accomplished ? LOL
petunias need to get in bigger pots.
cosmo and other vines also
bbl

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

THE SUN!
Off to get some more pictures!

welp not much accomplished here . that is for sure LOL
didn't get anything potted up
went to a 4 H meeting
grocery and laundry so that was my excitment
oh and caught the rooster. put him in the back pen.
other then that ?
good night

Seems like I am going from one ailment to another. It is NOT allergies, it is a danged cold, probably heading for bronchitis, always does.

Ric it wasn't me, but Lou, but if you have plenty, you can put me down for one!!

Sue, that is the story of my life, never accomplishing what I feel I want to.

Celene, your meal sounded good. I could be a vegetarian, but I don't think I could convince my DH that he is one.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

WHOOPS!
Lou AND Bonnie we will have plenty!

Look what we found today!

Thumbnail by henryr10
Columbus, OH

My husband would be hard pressed to give up meat, too.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Having met Celene's Husband I can say she's correct for sure.
Be like me turning vegetarian.

Columbus, OH

I'm not a judgey vegetarian, unless a meat eater acts ridiculous and waves meat under my nose saying "Mmmmm" or condescendingly tells me it's a phase and I'll never stick to it or stay healthy. My mother thought it was a phase, in 1974. She wanted to force me to eat meat, my father thought my particular brand of stubbornness and conviction was appealing.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

37 years could be a phase... geologically speaking..... ;-)

Thumbnail by henryr10
Columbus, OH

That's because being a vegetarian rocks!

(so sorry, but it had to be said)

(Di) Seven Mile, OH(Zone 6b)

Lol Celene....I could never give up meat and I know for a fact that Dh could never, ever do it. I crave - absolutely crave - a good steak every once in a while and I love my hamburgers and pot roast. I think it's whatever you want to eat you should eat. I never did understand getting carried away about other people's choices when it came to food.

Columbus, OH

Me either. It's way more dramatic than I'd want to be.

i move more and more toward veggie stuff due to cost and health. Meat these days just is not great tasting to me. Bland . i like game meat with taste and flavor. IMHO :)
i enjoy beans and rice . i can't live with out my wild rice and lemon vinagrette ! stuffed peppers.

Columbus, OH

I love spicy foods, never had anything too hot for me to handle, including ghost peppers. I dislike bland food, too.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

The hot spicy food is to make up for the body's craving for meat ;-)

Seriously we have vegan friends and just plain veggies.... never was an issue w/ any of us.
Though I think using synthetic meats, tofu, etc to be a bit silly.
And much as we've discussed it w/ them Vegan makes no sense to me.
You are a Mammal..... your mother had breasts for a reason, so not using milk is a bit weird.
Eggs....?

Had a great day w/ Joyce and Sue.
They included us in the trip today and it was very refreshing to just get out and go.

I say do what you want. I never comment on anybody's lifestyle unless it affects me in some way.

Boy came down with a doozy of a cold or a serious sinus infection. Feels like the top of my head is gonna explode. Been taking some sinus pills today, and it may be a bit better, but it wouldn't surprise me to have to go to the Dr to get rid of this junk.

Don't know why, but I didn't use my Netti pot all winter. Happened to think of it today and it did help clear up the nasal passages for awhile anyway.

I got some tomatoes seeded, but not near the amount that I need to do. Just felt to rotten to try to do any more.

Columbus, OH

Oh man, sorry you're ill. Makes me feel guilty, I seeded some stuff this morning. *hugs*

Ric, humans are the only mammals who consume milk after weaning, but clearly I don't have any problem with cheese, etc. I have vegan friends and we can always find something for everyone to eat. I'm no fan of the fake "meat" products, either. I'd rather have a vegetarian dish that is tasty in its own right, rather than a meat substitute whose texture is disappointing. I do like veggie bacon, veggie dogs and homemade veggie burgers every now and again.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

There are two classes of mammals. Veggie eaters & meat eaters. Most veggie eaters only have teeth on the bottom jaw & 4 stomachs, cows, sheep, deer, etc.
Meat eaters have canine teeth & 1 stomach, humans, pigs, dogs, cats, wolves, etc.
I had a very tasty steak for dinner tonight, with a nice glass of milk. I'm right up there in age & have never had a broken bone in my life. Milk makes strong bones.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Beautiful pics, Ric.
One of my cats has been gone 24 hours plus, so I'm worried. If he's not back by morning, I'm going to call the animal shelter. Bruiser! Come home!
Pat

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Pat I hope Bruiser is back by the time I post this!

Off to work.

Columbus, OH

I sure hope Bruiser comes home!

Pat praying that Bruiser finds his way home.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

No Bruiser yet. Going to drive around the neighborhood, then go to animal shelter. Thanks for the prayers. Bruiser led a reckless lifestyle; loved to trip people & other critters. That may have gotten him squooshed under some deer or something.
Pat

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Bruiser home! Dirty face, runny eye & nose, somewhat lethargic. Will be watching him. It's a good thing it's going to get cold, the warm weather bird noises have him ready to go out again already!
Pat

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

Glad he's home! I know what a worry that is to have a missing pet. The worst!~

Enjoy your trip and fill us in when you return.

It's beautiful out today. I've been weeding and Dave made another
Squirrl box and we got it up in the tree.

The old squirrel box had been up for eight years and was falling apart and looked like it was ready to fall on someone.LOL So we decided it was time for a new one. While he was buying the lumber, he bought enough to make two. We (me holding ladder and worring) went to take the old one down and when we touched it, it fell to the ground. Suddenly, we heard baby squirrel noises coming from what had been the box. Their were two newborn babies inside!! We felt horrible!

We left it where it landed, and watched and worried about them all day. That afternoon, Momma squirrel came back and was frantic when she couldn't find her home. eventully(sp) she came down and found the babies and took them to a whole in the neighb ors tree. I hope they will be okay. Lou

glad bruiser is home. poor kitty.
my parents have a male cat. lost him for 18 months. came home , never was the same kitty. last sat he bit my mom. this is the second time in 10 yrs he has bit them. and they get bad infections too !! honestly that cat would have been gone to the moon if it were mine. But they love him and keep him around. she goes and gets an IV everyday with meds in it. sheesh. ?
had a great time with Ric , Robyn and Cookie.
Had one heck of a storm last night ! big thunders and lightening, ended up with 3 extra bodies in my bed LOLL yes one of them was
k-9 , she hides under the blankets.
Lucy has arthritis, took her to the vet. she gets meds and we will see how she does. Today she woke limping bad. poor girl.
Lou i do enjoy watching the squirrels at our house too. They are cute. ! very entertaining also.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Well I saw the first Butterflies today.
3 Spring Azures, one almost landed on me, fluttered thru the parking lot!

One of those storms chased us home yesterday!

Thumbnail by henryr10

Pat, glad that Bruiser is home. Hard to tell where he was, and what his adventures were! Being male, probably involved seranading a female.

Lou, oh, I am so glad that you saw mamma squirrel take the babies to another location. She may find the new box you put up, and move in there. That is the kind of help that I provide, holding the ladder. Somebody has got to do it.

Planted some more garden today, potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage, and more onions. I seeded another tray of tomatoes, and took some cuttings from my willow tree, and the sweet autumn clematis. Hope they root.

good morning
i have strawberry plants coming out of my ears ! "ack"
got to run
bbl

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Sue, Is Lucy a year old yet? I have never heard of arthritis in a dog her age, unless it had severe trauma like being hit by a car as a puppy. Does she have hip displaysia? So sad for a young dog to have any painful problem. Perhaps Celene can give you some advice or a place to go for a second opinion.
If Lucy is afraid of storms, I have heard a product called a Thundershirt really works. It fits really snug, and for some reason makes them not afraid.
http://www.thundershirt.com/?utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=googleaffiliatenetwork&utm_source=GAN_k303300
I had a Border Collie who was never afraid of storms until my Mom moved in. My Mom is terrified of any form of bad weather. Jessie picked up on Mom's fear. I put away a few of Jessie's favorite toys, and only brought them out when it stormed. She soon learned that thunder meant she got to play tug and play with awesome tennis balls, and the fear went away. You could also try click and treat training during storms. The idea being that storms bring good toys and yummy treats.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Well good morning everyone...I finally found you all!!
I didn't disappear on purpose...just haven't had anything to talk about here!
I did go back and read...so have caught up on all your activities....and illnesses. Bonnie...hope you feel better soon!
We finally made it up to Meadowview this past Saturday..woohhooo!!
Of all things to get...I got a pitcher plant! It is the neatest thing!! Now..if I can just keep it alive! I hope it eats all the ants that keep coming into my house! Grrrrrr!
They DID tell me to keep my fingers out of the little pitchers...lol!
All my daffies, crocus, hyacinths, tulies are up...some almost ready to bloom.
I see no signs of my heliobores???????? I think they got flooded out!
Kind of cloudy here today..but fairly warm temps...so I won't complain...unless it pours down rain that is! Have a wonderful day out there all!

Sue, I was going to say that as young as Lucy is, I am surprised that the diagnosis is arthritis.

Jules, I meant to tell you that I got Mr. B a Thundershirt, and the last storm put it on him, and instead of cowering under the bed, he did follow me around. I think I am going to incorporate your advice and put some toys back and only let him have them when it storms. Better get a move on, as storm season is about on us.

Hey Marcy, I was wondering about you the other day. Glad you found us, and also glad that you finally got to the nursery. I haven't had an opportunity to do that yet, but will be in a city tomorrow where there is a really big one. So we will see.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.