s/h transfer

Decatur, GA

I moved my Euphorbia ambovombensis into s/h recently. It has some impressive roots. The first picture is before I made the change.

Thumbnail by helenchild
Decatur, GA

Here it is with the soil washed off. I try to be very careful and mostly let the water remove the particles. There seem to be a lot of dead brown roots that just all off. The good roots are fragile but more resilient than the dead ones.

Thumbnail by helenchild
Decatur, GA

Here it is in its new container. It has put out some new growth! I think its nice little caudex looks better this way than in its other pot.
Helen

Thumbnail by helenchild
Decatur, GA

I didn't take a picture of this before I removed the dirt from my E. viguieri viguieri, but you could easily guess the pot was small. This one has an impressive root ball and I am hoping it will improve in the s/h.

Thumbnail by helenchild
Decatur, GA

Impressive!

Thumbnail by helenchild
Decatur, GA

I hope it will be happier with liberated roots!
Helen

Thumbnail by helenchild
Arlington, TX

That first Euphorbia is nice! What a lovely caudex and I do agree, it shows better in its new pot.
C

Decatur, GA

Heres another. Its an unknown Pachypodium that is, as was pointed out earlier, not the slightest bit over potted. lol.

Thumbnail by helenchild
Decatur, GA

Here it is undressed, so to speak. Not a big root ball, I would say.

Thumbnail by helenchild
Decatur, GA

Here it is in its new container. It was so wide I think the roots are sort of over potted. I had to fill the container full of pellets since the plant is so wide it wouldn't sit inside the edges. But the roots are not going very deep down. I hope it grows like crazy now.
Thats the latest.
Helen

Thumbnail by helenchild
Phoenix, AZ

Helen, love all your plants! Does the last one pictured have holes in the container? It looks great!

Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

Looks great, Helen. I'm always curious to see what these plants look like below ground.

I don't think overpotting will be an issue. I guess you'll know it all worked when the plant leafs out this spring. I'm surprised you transplanted it while it was dormant... I'm waiting for a couple of my Pachypodiums to get leafier before I do some serious repotting this spring. Most of them are just getting started with tiny little budlets right now.

Decatur, GA

Baja,
I guess I am optimistic about these guys breaking dormancy. It never occurred to me they wouldn't! I will be sorely disappointed if they fail to thrive. I will try and remember to take some follow up pictures and post them later.
I also figure is they don't do well I can switch them back to soil and regular pots without much trouble.
Helen

Yardley, PA

Helen, They look great. My Euphorbia's have done great in s/h. I transplant mine whenever and they have always done fine. Actually, mine all seem awake right now. I keep mine under lights, though, all winter. This is the E. francoisii

Thumbnail by Sally0
Yardley, PA

My E. decaryi spirosticha has grown in leaps and bounds. All of the Euphorbias have been in the s/h for years.

Thumbnail by Sally0
Yardley, PA

The E. tortirana is one of my favorites.

Thumbnail by Sally0
Yardley, PA

Killed a number of the E. knuthii before s/h. The roots above the Primagra are as long below.

Thumbnail by Sally0
Yardley, PA

I really like the E. gorgonis. It seems to have grown really quickly. It has cute, tiny little flowers on it.

Thumbnail by Sally0
Yardley, PA

E. groenewaldii. You can see that I really like Euphorbias.

Thumbnail by Sally0
Yardley, PA

The E. ankarensis just put out all it's new leaves.

Thumbnail by Sally0
Decatur, GA

Sally your plants look great. Thanks for posting your pictures. I have a bunch of Euphorbias and expect to eventually move them all if the technique works for me. It takes a surprising amount of time to carefully work all the soil off the roots.
I am glad to hear you transfer/repot anytime too with success.
Are there any plants you have had any trouble growing in the s/h? I have wondered about putting cactus in the medium.
Helen

Yardley, PA

I lost the Pachypodium Brevicaule and a few others but I can't be sure it was from the s/h or not. I do have a lot a cactus and succulents in s/h that I killed before the s/h but not that many in the s/h. I can't think off hand what I have lost. I am not great at keeping records!

Decatur, GA

Thanks fishknees. The Pachy.'s container has holes I drilled myself. The container can from the Goodwill and I am not sure what its original use was.
Helen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.