Photos of clematis received 2011 for comparison.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Let's post our pics of the goodies we've received this year. Also note where we received them from. And any comments you would like to make about the clematis or the company it was purchased from.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

great idea

Louisville, KY

I ordered pink champagn, montana grandiflora ( I think Pirl has that one)
Montana Reubens, Hagley Hybrid, Rebecca ( my daughter in laws name) and ascotiensis.

I believe the Montanas are su pposded to be zone 7 and Louisville is 6B.

Louisville is acting like 7 or more so I am going to give little nudge to the zone. Today hit 80 degrees.
John

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Here is Omoshiro. I just got her. I ordered her from Brushwood Nursury.

Thumbnail by mstish
Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

She was wet, healthy and in great condtion when she arrived. She has 1 bud that I hope after all this traveling will bloom and strut her stuff.

Thumbnail by mstish
Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

I want to repot her but maybe I should wait to see if her bud blooms. What do you guys think?

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

Mine opened up the other day mstish. so far it is still blooming. The one vine with a bloom got damaged , I am not sure how. But I still got the one good one. Have not repoted it as of yet.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

This is exciting.

Toledo, OH(Zone 5b)

As hard as it is, it's better to let the plant concentrate on the bottom root structure. You should keep the top trimmed including the flowers for the first year. But who's going to do that, right.

Athens, PA

If mine come with a bud, I let that flower open. It is always exciting when they first open up. This also confirms I have been sent what I ordered. All too often in the clematis world, these plants are not labelled correctly. This is how I ended up with my Minister. I do love this plant, but it was not what I had ordered.....

So, after the first flower, I then cut mine back because as Diamond indicates, it is so important that the plant use all it's energy on establishing it's root system in the first year.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Looking good. Thanks for posting the pic!

Toledo, OH(Zone 5b)

Very good point Carolynn! Make sure you got what you paid for.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Must be the postman is stuck in the northern snows.
I dont see any recent clem arrivals.

Naugatuck, CT(Zone 5a)

Good idea, thanks! Always learning something new.

This message was edited Mar 29, 2011 4:16 PM

(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA(Zone 7a)

Here is the order I received from Brushwood. It took 4 days for them to travel from Georgia to Washington and this was taken upon arrival. Blooms are Fireworks and Bee's Jubilee. No buds on Omishiro, unfortunately. They will be repotted and remain in the cooler part of my greenhouse for a month or so until they get acclimatized to our chilly weather.

Thumbnail by PNWMountainGirl
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks for taking the time topost.I really appreciate it and your order looks the same as mine did last year.
Dont you think its well worth the extra few bucks?

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Very nice! Thanks for the commentary on the transit time too.

Louisville, KY

I love my Bee's Jubilee. Thanks for the pics.
John

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

My Brushwoods order came today. They will stay in the garage for a couple of weeks .Itw way too cold at night yet.
I must have had a geezer moment when I sais April.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Athens, PA

JoAnn

I ordered mine for late April. Previously, I have had them ordered to deliver in May and then wondered why I didn't order them sooner. I like to put mine against the house on the southern side and then bring them in when they call for the below freezing temps. I am excited and cannot wait to get mine.

(your 'geezer' moments crack me up - I have my share of them as well)

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I have received my all american trio from Bluestone. I think they look pretty small comparing to what you got from Brushwood. These are Rebecca, Arctic Queen and Crystal fountain. No buds. I wish I ordered something more blue, the Crystal is more purple. I paid for this as much as at Brushwood, three more are coming from Brushwood, will see the difference. I will wait for about a week to put it out, our last frost day is April 18.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Here is a picture of them.

Thumbnail by kiseta

Yes I agree with you, they do look smaller the Brushwoods Clem's.
Mine are out side but under the eaves. The temps are staying above freezing, but if I hear of a very cold night they will come in the the coolest room of the house.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Good comparison pictures everyone! Thanks!

Don't keep them in a heated area if they are already hardened off. Better to keep them outside in a protected area, like everyone says. If you keep them in a heated area you will need to harden them off again.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Here's what the clems coming to your local retailer look like, if they buy them wholesale. For comparison. Here's Ashva on the left, and Isago on the right. From Walters Gardens, the No 1 US perennial wholesaler.

Thumbnail by pollyk
Toledo, OH(Zone 5b)

Nice, I've never seen them that way. Looks like they are pretty good size too. Will you pot them up and grow them out for a while??

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Well, here's a picture of my sweet autumn clem that I received in a trade with DGer Iris in SC. I haven't had it a month yet but it is looking mighty healthy.

Thumbnail by mittsy
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Yes, I will pot them up, they can really be sold right away, or at least as soon as they leaf out but I would normally wait until fall to sell them. The roots are big enough they can go right in the ground.

If you happen to be in mamajacks Walters Gardens co-ops, that's what she will be getting, too.

That sure looks good, Mittsy!

Then I will leave them outside. I was concerned about it, but if you all say its ok to leave them outside I will. I was hoping to get things planted this weekend or the first of the week. But all it wants to do here is rain.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Put them in a protected area, though, and if there is a hard freeze coming, put them in the garage just overnight.

I would have to have hubby put them in his shop. My garage is now my new laundry room with bathroom included.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

How nice! That's what I really need. Yes, his shop will do fine.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Here's my order from Brushwood. Very nice. Off to leave good feedback.

Thumbnail by pollyk
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Bigas mine ,maybe bigger.Nice.

yeh I am wondering if having them sent so much later would have been a better idea. The sizes seem to be bigger.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

That's a good reason for having this thread then, Marie. Something else to think about.

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

They look good Polly! What did you get?

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Louise! I think they're great. I got Little Bas, Elvan and Little Mermaid.

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

I don't have any of those....I'm going to have to look them up!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

New to me too. I also got Ashva and Isago, elsewhere, and can't wait to see the new ones this year. I love seeing the old friends return and I love the new ones, too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.