Zorro Hydrangea

Athens, PA

I put in a Zorro hydrangea last year. I have been reading different things on this hydrangea and I am seeing conflicting information regarding the size. I have seen 3x3 and I have seen 6x6. Would anybody have more information on this plant? If it grows larger than 3x3, I will have to find a new home for it....

TIA

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Those differences are sometimes due to the errors/typos and sometimes due to the plant being tested in different geographical areas. You can contact the nursery and have them review the information with the wholesaler,

When that happens to me and I do not find anyone near me growing the plant, I choose based on the length of the growing season. Meaning I assume a bigger plant in areas in the South due to the longer growing season, etc. In Zone 5, your growing season is shorter so assume a size closer to 3'x3'... like 4'x4' or 4.5' by 4.5'.

Question: have you observed the stems turn white (the white color does not come off if you rub it so it is not powdery mildew) just in a few parts/areas? Saw multiple references to that and I was wondering....

Athens, PA

Luis -

To be honest with you, I had not noticed. However, last year was horrible just trying to keep plants alive. We were so dry.... I will have to pay better attention this year.

What do you suppose the white discolouration could possibly be?

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Normally, it would be powdery mildew. Hydrangeas suffer from that. And normally some comes off if you use your fingers. But I have read posts where the person says it does not come off which is a little strange. I do not know if the poerson is not rubbing their fingers hard enough or if it a different problem. It is obviously hard to tell without even a picture but you can always send a sample for analysis in a plastic sealed envelope.

Assuming it is p/m however, there are many things you can use. For example:

* Neem Oil,
* a mix of water and milk (10/20 milk; 80% water) or a mix of water and
* baking soda (1 tablespoon of baking soda + I gallon of water + 1/2 teaspoon of any liquid soap + 1 tablespoon of ultra-light horticultural oil)

All of the above can help with powdery mildew. Neem Oil comes in a sprayer bottle here but for the other two, you will need to get a sprayer at a plant nursery or Lowes/HD. Spray with milk once a week; dispose of the solution when done (do not save it). Spray with baking soda weekly to prevent a case of powdery mildew & spray every three days to get rid of a case of powdery mildew.

You can also use chemical fungicides that will treat powdery mildew infections (just read the labels and see if they say that the product can treat powdery mildew). Examples: Sun-Spray Ultrafine Oil; Cleary's 3336, Heritage

Athens, PA

Luis

I have a few clematis that are prone to powdery mildew and I do use a fungicide spray on them. I would probably use that.

I will be looking for this white stuff on the hydrangea, now that you mentioned it. I planted Zorro by an Annabelle, so we will see if it is even contagious.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.