My earliest specie peony

Kansas City, MO

This plant came to me as P. corsica and is my earliest blooming peony. Will try to post more as it develops.

Thumbnail by ah3815
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

How long have you had it?

Kansas City, MO

This is the same plant from the side. As the leaves enlarge the foliage elongates. Will try to post more later.

Thumbnail by ah3815
Kansas City, MO

About 8 years. It did not bloom for the first three. Has regular specie blooms, pink but does appear crinkled some years.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Very interesting. Looking forward to the blooms. Does it spread like hybrids over the years?

Kansas City, MO

So far no. Each year there are three to five stalks and so far that is all. However I noticed a small shoot near one of the stalks with very tiny leaves. Since there are no other peonies in the area that bloom even near the time this one blooms, normally end of March, if it is a seedling it has self pollenated. I am not even touching the small leaf until it is bigger.

Kansas City, MO

In full bloom

Thumbnail by ah3815
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Cool!

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Love it! With this inspiration, I am going after a few species plants too, starting with peregrina that is abou $9 for a bare root from Edelweiss nursery. Are there some especially good online sources that anyone knows?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.