2011 Peonies

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Howdy all, how are your peonies coming? Anyone seeing pips? I have been sooo busy lately with work and am kind of ashamed for not posting. I am eager to see peonies and am seeing lots of activity and plants budding out.

This is a second-year plant and I lost the tag....no flowers last year but looks like lots of buds this year

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Festiva Powder Puff is popping up

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Abalone Pearl...another really early one.. had it 4 or 5 years now

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Krinkled White..this is a second-year plant

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

One more - a second-year Coral Charm. Got one flower last year; looks like four or five this year

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Kansas City, MO

I had wondered how your plants were progressing. Not me but you should trade pollen with someone in another area whose early's bloom when your later ones do. Who knows what could come from the crosses.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Up north our herbaceous peonies are just breaking through the soil. I love seeing those little red points sticking up. Even the tree peonies are just growing a bit. Tough winter, but suddenly seeming to warm up. 58 degrees here and rising. Surely everything wil have another half inch of growth by tomorrow morning.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

In my Boston suburb there is no sign of peony yet. Tulip tips and crocus and other early bulbs--yes, but not much else. Many snowcovered areas have only just now melted. We still have a 6x6 foot Mt. Everest of snow in one spot of the yard. I am eager to rake the salt hay mulch, but it's still too unpredictable here. So to all, please send picutures!

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

You have an Everest too! lol Mine sits right on the corner of my front garden bed. Shades it til July I swear. Well, slight exaggeration.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Hey Steve been wondering when you and your peonies will pop up!

Mine are still under mounds of snow!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I'm seeing pips on a number of peonies - White Cap, White Frost, Moonstone, Festiva Maxima and Burma Joy. The pips on White Frost are almost scary; not only are they huge but they are white with red streaks. I'm afraid they're going to reach out of the pot and wrestle me to the ground.

Donna

GREAT to see you Steve. The season starts with you and end with Carol year after year - LOVE the continuity.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Totally agree Donna with your comments about the continuity....and I love seeing fancy's blooms as well when we've entered our heat and I am then so jealous!!!

This one was a gift from Moby two years ago....got a couple flowers last year and this year is really taking off....

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

My other Moby gift...don't even remember this one blooming last year, just leafed out, and now look at it in its second year!

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

This is a Karl Rosenfeldt I actually found at a nursery about a mile from my house; this is its third spring. Got about 6 flowers last year and have more stems and appears to be many more buds this year so we'll see!

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Cora Stubbs....this is its second year...one of my favorites.

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

First Blooms! This is a Ferny Maxine sent me....didn't do so well second year, just OK third year, and now seems to be improving again. The reglar herbaceous ones seem to do better for me. The bloom is pink rather than red and really pretty.

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Early Scout...the one I accidentally planted on top of my daffodils :-) Taken today as well as the one above.

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

And finally, took this yesterday...one of my third-year White Cap...probably my favorite peony. I got 5 flowers first year and 17 last year, so am excited to see what happens this year. Each stem produces three or four sidebuds to enhance the bloom.

Alana, some day I will get adventurous and try to cross some these when I have a chance to better educate myself on how to do it :-)

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Bravo! Steve's first bloom! Peony reason has officially started!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

It's going to be a while before I see any peony's showing up- still lots of snow on the perennial beds!

Just had an email that LaPivoinerie D'Aoust has 2011 catalogue up so am browsing thru and drooling and wondering how many I can order this year! I am inclined to go for the early ones and some of the real old timers.

I'm with you, Fancyvan; 1.5' of snow to go til I see ground, except in the tree peony cages I uncapped this weekend. Buds all over the tree P's

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

White Frost. I've never seen a peony root this big this early.

Donna

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Nice to see you online, Steve.

Fern leaf peony's are notorious for taking their time adjusting after transplanting. They do like to be fed and do better if they are.

Nothing is showing up yet, but snow has just left flower beds, should clarify that, their is still some some places. Yard has drifts yet where Archie blew the snow when he was plowing.

Maxine

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

This was my fern leaf blooming last yr.

Maxine

Thumbnail by Maxine

Beautifyl. Mine is planted next to a rhody and I wonder if that is why it only has two or three flowers after two summers.

Dayton, OH

I have some peonies comming up already, It had been very warm this month, and now It is getting down below 32 degree's, I'm wondering if my peonies and other flowers will die from the weather change?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I seriously doubt it, roseycats. We've had them up a few inches and then had snow storms with no resulting damage to the existing growth or to the flowers. Relax!

Dayton, OH

Thanks Pirl, Your plants that you stared from seed looks really great.

Thanks, roseycats, but those photos were from former years. Jack hasn't begun his seeding job yet but it will happen any day now.

Dayton, OH

Well any way they still looked good. Pirl

Thanks. I'll be sure to tell Jack. Like all men, he loves praise.

Dayton, OH

Amen to that

Tomah, WI

I just love seeing the growth on all of the peonies! It will be a while before we see any at all.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

It's been so cold, most of the peonies said "forget it." The early sprouters are up; the rest are just gaining momentum. The earliest herbaceous are always single peonies. The ones transplanted 3 weeks ago are also starting up. Dying to see if they will bloom this year because it's been so long (4 years) I cannot recall what was planted.

So far I have not seen hide nor hair of the fern leaf peony that comes up but does not bloom any more. But it's 32 stinking degrees outside, brrrr. Who would believe it was 60 degrees here last week?

It's 24 here. But it is only 8:30am. It warms up pretty well during the day to about 40 which is enough to melt more snow.

Cathy - you had me laughing when you said, "...it's 32 stinking degrees outside, brrrr. Who would believe it was 60 degrees here last week?" How true! Heat wave here at 36 with strong winds giving a wind chill effect of 30. Spring is eluding us for now.

Alaska will be warmer by 1 PM than we are now.

I suspect you may be right. It gets downright balmy in the mid to late afternoon. Unless a breeze off the inlet picks up. Then we get the same chill you do.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Just bundled up for the walkaround. Husband laughing at the hood. More pips up, the transplanted peonies seeming to be ok or better. I think the fern leaf is just poking through, about 1/4 inch high. The double peonies, which were here when we bought the house 5 years ago, probably won't show for at least another 2 weeks. They are later bloomers. Since the FL hasn't bloomed is about 2 years, maybe it got some dirt on it

Crocus, dwarf iris, allium and muscari are up, iris, monarda (bee balm) and white centaurea already growing. But only foliage for daffs and tulips. Tulips probably hiding from the deer.

It was warmer when I went to HD on Friday for violas, which love the cold. Got a great steel trelli$ at HD that is 6 feet high and hinged. Tall, attractive and lots of places to vine cukes or support tomatoes. What kind of person gets excited about a shovel, augur or trellis?

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

MStella, we just cross-posted. I took a look at the map, and that inlet probably keeps you more temperate during the winter, too. Do the warm weather cruises come up your way?

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Here is the first Tree Peony of this year in my garden.
It is a huge flower and so fragrant.

Thumbnail by drthor

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.