Hydrangeas

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Help!

Was wondering if its ok now to cut off the hydrangea blooms that have been up all winter?? Will it affect the growth and the blooming for this new season?? If I cut them back, how far down, or do I just leave them there??

Deann

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

Deanna, I leave mine until they start leafing out...then I cut them back to new growth.

Dearborn, MI

Do you know the name of your hydrangea. Most of the older varieties only bloom on old wood, so I would only prune the outermost tips of the branches to tidy them up. Some newer varieties, such as Endless Summer collection bloom on new and old woods, so you wouldn't have to be so careful about pruning them.

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Totally agree with Nancy.

Paul

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

I wait until they leaf out to... my dead wood stalks are like 4-5 feet high still with some old blooms on them. When they start getting fresh buds on them and leaf out a bit then I trim them :)

Algonac, MI

Hello Group,

My hydrangeas are entering their 4th season of planting and only one has any real size to it. The other 5 are still small. Neither has even hinted that it would flower.
All get full sun and I do check watering regularly.
I transplanted 3 from our front yard to the back where they get much more sun, but they don't seem to be doing too much better.
How long does or will it take for blooms to be present?
I bought these from a very reputable nursery almost 4 years past.
Any help will be most appreciated.
Thanks!

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

I bought most of mine in bloom and they have all bloomed every summer except for one...Forever and Ever. It is almost hidden by the ones that have grown and flowered. I will probably have to give it a new home. Started two Nikko Blue from slips and they did take a few years to flower.

Dearborn, MI

LostIndian:
Do you know the name of the variety of hydrangea that you planted?
The most reliable hydrangea for us Michiganders is still the Hydrangea arborescens. The most common one is the white variety called Annabelle. Now they have introduced a couple of pink variations, one called Invinciball Spirit and a new one this year Bella Anna. These latest introductions bloom on new and old wood, unlike Annabelle. They should not require full sun to bloom.
Many years ago, I planted a florist hydrangea in my yard, never really expecting it to make it, but unable to just discard it. It still blooms beautifully every year. Go figure.

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

The Hydrangeas in question is Endless Summer. Actually its my daughter's and she lives in Indiana in zone 6 or 7. I have Annabelle, which blooms every year with huge white balls.

Thanks for your input, much appreciated my Michigan friends.

Deann

Algonac, MI

nancyurh, thanks for your reply and question.
I just received a notice that a replacement hydrangea is being sent by the nursery from which I purchased 6. They ID it a [a] All Summer Hydrangea.
According to the soil acidity it can beither be pink or blue.
That's all I know!
Thanks again.

Dearborn, MI

I believe that is All Summer Beauty Hydrangea, which blooms on both new and old wood. The earliest and heaviest blooming in on last years branches, with the leaf buds formed late summer, early fall of last season. I have several of those in my yard at the cottage, and they bloom but would do much better if the deer didn't munch on them.
I found an article that you might find helpful--http://www.usna.usda.gov/Gardens/faqs/hydrangeafaq2.html#Why-not-bloom

Algonac, MI

THANKS, nancyurhl, for the link. The info is "a must" in my favorites list.
Although the info doesn't solve my situation, I at least now am armed with info to help me this season.
IF I don't forget I will try to keep you abreast of my haydrandeas progress (or floppery).
Thanks again!

Dearborn, MI

Floppery?????

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

floppery = fail... ;) LOL

Algonac, MI

Thank you, detheo for your claiifacation.
I am always having to explain southern speak to my MI family, especially since I hail from the Big Easy.
Later!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.