When Spring Arrives

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

I thought it would be fun to take a photo of the same Japanese maple every couple of days over the past couple weeks while spring came to my area. This was sold to me as a 'Glowing Embers'. This first picture was taken on March 1.

[Disclaimer: I'm not much of a photographer so please excuse the blurry pictures.]

Thumbnail by GardenSox
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Two days later on March 3.

Thumbnail by GardenSox
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

March 4.

Thumbnail by GardenSox
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

March 5.

Thumbnail by GardenSox
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

March 7.

Thumbnail by GardenSox
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

March 9.

Thumbnail by GardenSox
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

March 11.

Thumbnail by GardenSox
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

March 14.

Thumbnail by GardenSox
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Today, March 16.

Thumbnail by GardenSox
Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Here's some Jms just starting to leaf out in my greenhouses..... But outside just good dormant grafting scion

Thumbnail by Davidsan
Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Well that sucks ... can't delete it or add photos .above . oh well here

It looks like allot of flowers pollen and seeds this year again .. last year it was so bad we could only stay in the houses for about 10 minutes before severe coughing from all the pollen when we organizing everything ... it was like a giant puff ball mushroom exploding in your face ..OOOPS this is Japanese Sunrise .David(san)

This message was edited Mar 16, 2011 9:43 PM

This message was edited Mar 18, 2011 7:15 AM

Thumbnail by Davidsan
Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

And ooops this ides Murasaki kiyohime

This message was edited Mar 18, 2011 7:16 AM

This message was edited Mar 18, 2011 7:18 AM

Thumbnail by Davidsan
Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

And the Shirasawanum is a bit later ... oops this is A.s. Lovette

This message was edited Mar 18, 2011 7:17 AM

Thumbnail by Davidsan
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

davidsan what is the second one of?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

A lot of mine are leafing out. Butterflly, Sango Kaku and several of the seedlings. Germaine's gyration is in bud form. I love the soft colors of the spring in the maples.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i have two in the garage starting to leaf

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

All of my trees have now leafed out to varying degrees. I think most people tend to think of autumn as the best time of year for maple color but spring definitely has its own share of charms.

I bought a 'Koto No Ito' last fall so this is my first spring with it. I think it's my favorite one this spring. Very cool, stringy looking leaves.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Due to the summers heat and it's effect on most jms. And in northern areas tthe variable color or lack of it due to early frosts and freezes in fall... I think there is no doubt spring and early summer for all but southern and coastal folks is absolutely the best time for Jms color ....and in picking Jms for those areas one should be more concerned with spring coloration than fall...David(san)

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

hi davidsans - what is the jm on post 8431631?

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Bill it was listed after the fact ... I assume you are talkin about the budded branchettete with leaf and flower buds ??? thats that #

"And the Shirasawanum is a bit later ... oops this is A.s. Lovette" lovette is one truly very nice Shiwasawanum ... formally considered incorrectly a Japonicum... a nice extreemly sturdy hardy smaller tree maybe 8-10 max

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

not sure how i missed that - thx

i have a little one of those in a container - struggled last year due to being out of site and i did not water it as often as i should have - hope it makes it

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

so what to do - i now have 4-6 jm's budding out in containers in the garage - bring them out or keep them in?

still could have a late frost or heavy snow so i have always kept them inside until the beginning of may.

Milford, DE

Open the door during the day and close it at night. The maples that I have outside are not budding but the ones in the greenhouse's are. I have the heat off in the greenhouse's and the doors opened all night long. The temps get to as low as 25 degrees now and over 80 in the day. I have no problem with them.

Dave

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

thx dave - no one home during the day so leaving the doors open is not an option until the weekend.

btw - you are an early riser:)!

Dayton, OH

David you can delete pictures from your post. Press edit and then just delete whatever you want or add whatever you want then when you are finished press send. good luck

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Pictures are not the problem it is the thread title....if you make a typo it is there forever for all to see... See my horribly written thred title requesting folks not to post unrelated things on other posts ... as we are now doing ... good example ;>) David(san)

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

so where are all the spring jm pics?

I have a few leafing out in the garage - will probably take them all out next weekend.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Yes southern folks should have plenty out .. None of mine except a very well protected Orange Drteam has even halfway leafed out most will be by weekend here .. I wish I had time to take a bunch in the green houses houses or the ones I have outside now in pots but hardly have time to write this .. everything is gorgeous ... It is surprising how much bigger and fuller the ones left from last year are.I would say 99.9 survived and are thriving . I now have a serious space problem.. Larger trees are 1/3 bigger well maybe not quite that much but allot..

As I said spring is the best time to enjoy Jms most places no heat no hot sun no bugs and you can watch them grow and the color is boffo even on the greens. As I said before fall is a crap shoot for most northern areas ...Baring a late frost or a disastrous freeze this has been perfect weather for JMs here and ass much as you east coast folks complain about your horrible winter and spring late springs are a Godsend.. Late freezes likely won't happen to you ..D

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

sorry to hear of your space problem - i will have one of my own creating down the road a bit - in fact yesterday after finishing raking i walked the property looking for places to plant what will be arriving in a couple weeks. lots of shrubs will be removed and replanted else where to make room although i fear not enough. have been picking up containers for the overflow and will worry about room in the garage later.

now lets see some pictures............

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Well, I've got some spring colors to share. I'll start with a new picture of the tree I featured at the start of this thread.

Thumbnail by GardenSox
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Crimson Queen with an azalea in the background.

Thumbnail by GardenSox
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

A young Kamagata.

Thumbnail by GardenSox
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Orangeola - this was taken in the noon hour so the colors are washed out.

Thumbnail by GardenSox
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Beni Schichihenge

Thumbnail by GardenSox
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Bloodgood. This was the first JM I purchased (from Home Depot). It is by far my least favorite.

Thumbnail by GardenSox
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Seiryu, I believe.

Thumbnail by GardenSox
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Looking down on a Sharp's Pygmy.

Thumbnail by GardenSox
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Otto's Dissectum.

Thumbnail by GardenSox
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Koto no Ito