box store bare root Lily's - need assistance please :)

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

I have bought about 50 Liliums (Asiatics) to use for the July wedding - they are really coming along nicely - in fact numerous ones already have pods - my question is....since they had such a head start in their peat bags coming from the big box store will it hinder blooming this year to pinch them - do I just leave them be? I have Commander in Chief & Red Dutch

I have to say the Red Dutch is coming up more like the Casa Blanca's already in my yard from last year- meaning they don't have all the flower pods the C in Chief does - any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Deanna

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Deanna, I have never heard of pinching lilies, the deer pinch mine regularly and I never get any flowers after they do that. Also, if they already have flower buds, it seems like they will bloom very early.

FYI there is a good bulb co op going on at the other place.

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

I'd also imagine they'd bloom really early if they're already showing pods. That's a tough call. Everything it putting out really early this year it seems.

I've also been meaning to say Congrats to you and Branden on your engagement, I hardly ever get on FB anymore and I totally missed it until Tori told me the other day. Like you I'm trying to find flowers that'll work for the June/July time frame since we're doing a party in June. It's hard to find the right plants. The lilies are gorgeous though, so I hope you can get them to work out.

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks John! You all are getting down to the 30 day mark aren't you?! so exciting...best of luck in Tori's new venture too...can't wait until the site goes live - I think she'll do really well with that!

Not all the lilies are showing pods yet - maybe a 1/2 dozen to a dozen of the 50 I've started - I know my Casa Blanca bloomed the weeks of July 1 thru the 12th last year because I found a pic of them LOL - oh well I have plenty of other pretties in the yard and in a pinch will make a trip to Hi Cotton in St Matthews since they will wholesale to me for my landscape biz - so at least all the baskets n planters will be full :)~

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.