Graft Heights on dissectums and uprights

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

The overwhelming majority of dissectums are high grafted 10" or more ..usually out of lazy growers syndrome.... they don't need to stake them ... The other super high graft at 24" to as high as 48"s are borne out of "greedy grower syndrome" ... they get a bigger tree super fast that sells well ... most folks especially those that are newbees and/or go to big box stores will pay quite a bit for a 4 foot dissectum ... not knowing it is only a couple years old.and actually a foot tall..... which they would not want to pay but pennies for.

On upright non dissectum Jms, grafts vary also... but generally at 6-8" and even taller . Some are 2-4 as I like and try to get.But even with uprights these low grafts are rare.. The taller ones are borne out of "cheapskate growers syndrome" and "fast grafter syndrome" .. For growers those that do not "take" can be re-grafted down the root stock and save wasting root stock. For for the grafter they can be grafted allot faster and much easier.. Basically when you do a lower graft it is harder and you are one and done . These growers believe ,with some rationale, that as the tree grows it will become a cousin it and the buyer will not notice the telephone pole root stock ... And that most folks will not know the difference anyway

( in keeping with my request to not get off post and requesting folks to start new thread with new topics that are not directly related to other posts ...( not hijacking the thread) ... I am starting this one)

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks for posting this, Davidsan. This was a lesson I learned only after discovering Dave's Garden several years ago and I'm happy to say that it has helped me choose better trees as a result . . . but I have a few reminders from my period of ignorance too.

Hopefully other new JM buyers will see this thread and learn before they buy the wrong tree.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

this is easier to notice when you can see the tree in person - for on-line purchaces you would need to have a trust worthy source - and remember to ask before buying.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Davidsan, Thanks, learning new things. I will be out looking at my grafted maples tomorrow. Patti

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Thank you for that info. Mike

Columbus, OH

Davidsan, thank's so much for the info provided on grafted JM. I had
planned to purchase a JM from my local big box store without the
grafting info until I read your article. Thank's again.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.