Winter 2010-2011: Growing plants under lights indoors! Pt 3

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

I didn't realize that the thread had gotten that long. Sorry! We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1151797/

I'll even start it off with some pretty blooms under lights taken yesterday.

This message was edited Mar 14, 2011 5:30 PM

Thumbnail by beckygardener

This one is a KU vine. It produced a double! :-)

I'll post a few more to start this thread going.

Pretty close to red in color. More of a burgundy color. :-)

This message was edited Mar 14, 2011 7:34 PM

Last one.

Oops, this is the last one!

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

I really like that red/burgundy one♥ The double ain't to bad either LOL!! Nice!

(Zone 7a)

I agree with Ronnie - not too shabby at all, Becky lol. Actually, I would call them all eminently levitable - adore the chocolate tones in this burgundy - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8426956 . I wonder what kind of crosses might lead to something like that? And with those yellow/green leaves too...

That burgundy one is Antoinette's cross. I think it may have something like Chocolate Silk or something with that color and maybe a dark pink. Not sure. The speckled twin is white with burgundy speckles. Really unusual to see burgundy. Antoinette grew them together in a pot and her photo is gorgeous! I might do that sometime this year.

Well, these vines are almost 7 months old. That's the longest I've had the same I. nil vines growing. Maybe I should grow all my I. nils indoors under lights! LOL!

Been watching the news all day. I am very concerned about those 3 failing nuclear reactors in Japan. Jon is about 100 miles south of them. I am really worried what is going to happen with that situation. It sure doesn't sound good at all. As if the earthquake and the tsunami weren't enough, now Japan has to deal with these reactors melting down. Very scary! I hope Jon and his family just leave their home for a safer place... like England.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Beautiful blooms Becky, I love growing things inside, and that dark one above the white with speckles is reall lovely.
I worry about everything, how is the weather going to be with the movement from the earths axis?
I just want Jon to be safe from it all..

Me, too! There is now belief that one of the reactor's has begun melting down. This could become the worst case scenerio! They are hoping that the containment vessel will be able to keep the radiation from escaping outside the reactor. But they are thinking that there is a leak and the water is leaking out of the vessel which is what is causing the reactor to overheat. Very scary. I haven't seen Jon post yet. It's about 10 am in Japan. I hope he posts soon and let's us know what his plans are. I'd be trying to leave the country at this point.

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Great pink in the 1st pic Becky. The chocolate dbl bloom is a beautiful color,
really special.

Norfolk, VA

Here is my 3-way cross i. nil, ((early call pink x akatsuki no umi) x tie-dye pink). a week after germination. What a large and vigorous plant!

Tony

Thumbnail by MGMan
Norfolk, VA

And two weeks after.

Thumbnail by MGMan

Looking good ... I planted all five of your seeds from swap MGMAN..

Tony - Very nice! What color and pattern of blooms do you hope to get with this cross?

Mesilla Park, NM

Becky, those are great shots.

Tony, it will be a nice surprise to see the flowers on your cross..

A.

Norfolk, VA

Becky- No Telling! It's up to the genetic make-up. Very unpredictable!

Thanks, everyone else for your compliments

Tony

Norfolk, VA

Becky- Actually, I would like to see more of the blizzard are striped patterns, it would also be good to see something like a striped red on blue, pink on purple, stuff like that instead of a white background all the time, but it would more likely appear in the F2 generation, the 3 way cross' grandchildren.

Tony

Tony - Sounds great! I hope you get the desired results in your blooms! I look forward to seeing photos of your blooms and enjoying them! :-)

Me TOO! ;D

Mesilla Park, NM

Every time I see that first photo at the beginning of this thread, it looks like a photo that should be on the face of a catalog. Nice arrangement and display.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

I found this little guy this morning. I have it marked as coming from a mix...a bit disappointed but any flower is better than none!

Thumbnail by luvsgrtdanes
(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

This is from Emma's mix. Hoping for a few seeds.

Thumbnail by luvsgrtdanes
(Zone 7a)

Gourd - I agree about Becky's earlier flowers - exquisite

Ronnie - That pale blue one might not be a "knock-yer-socks-off" flower, but it kinda grows on me - love the sharp white star over pale blue - reminds me of how closely related MGs are to stars above...same atoms...common origin an infinity ago

Great pics Ronnie. Love the blues

Norfolk, VA

Here is an update of my 3-way cross. the first leaf is almost 3 in long and it's not on it's third leaf yet!

Thumbnail by MGMan
Norfolk, VA

Here's also an update of the ones on the window sill.

Tony

Thumbnail by MGMan
Norfolk, VA

Here are my snapdragons started from seed.

Thumbnail by MGMan
Norfolk, VA

This message was edited Mar 28, 2011 9:47 PM

Norfolk, VA

There's more;-)

Thumbnail by MGMan

Nice blues, Ronnie. I love any blues.
this one was weird..

Thumbnail by joeswife

I can't wait to see the bloom on this one, and it has climbed about 6 inches in two days since this photo

Thumbnail by joeswife

Beautiful blooms Ronnie and Debra!

Tony - Good luck with your cross experiment! It will be interesting to see the blooms! Cute photo of all your baby MGs on the window sill!

My indoor vines are really dying back now. I am waiting for a few seed pods to ripen and collect. Then it is time to clean out all the vines and start new ones. I am going to continue to grow some more indoors under lights this growing season too. I really like how well they did indoors. No bugs. No rust fungus. So I'm going to see what new ones I can grow and cross. ;-)

As always, some of the vines put on their last bloom show before expiring. Gotta love their determination! :-)

Love the colors on this one! #15.

And the pink speckles had some block color on the bloom! Sometimes I see the odd blooms toward the end of the lifecycle of a MG vine. This one was no exception.

All beautiful blooms Becky. Love the colors of the first two. The color block bloom
is so pretty.

The brown speckles vine had quite a few blooms on it, too!

More blooming vines... the last hurray!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.