Need Your Input PLEASE????

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

I have had rheumatoid arthritis in both my shoulders for many years and have been recieving injections to stop the pain but now my right shoulder must have surgery to repace it. I would like to know if any of you have had this surgery and truthfully "What can I expect?"

Hi Ted ... no advice, just wondering when your surgery date is?
Hugs&blessings ... ~Susan

mulege, Mexico

Ted, I have been lucky enough to only have had minor surgeries and all of them went well. Among people I know who have had surgeries to replace hips, knees, etc. the results have been widely varied. Most of those i know have been very happy with the results, finding that they have much less pain. I think this is what you will find.

Let us know when the surgery will be. We will all be pulling for you.

katie

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Ted Have only had shoulder surgery. Was a big relief after it was done. Had to do lots of uncomfortable excerizes after, but was worth it.
We'll be thinking of you.
Vickie

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

My mom had a knee replaced and it still bothers her but nothing like before the surgery. She goes to the gym several times a week, which she never could have done before. (She''s 72-73.)

mulege, Mexico

Ted, how are you doing? Any word on the surgery. I know you've been having a hard time of it and I think the surgery will probably really help with the pain which is a lat of the cause of depression. The worst part is what you're going through now - waiting and not knowing. I'm thinking good thoughts about and for you. Please keep posting.

hugs, katie

Ted, you've been on my mind, also. Please know you're in my thoughts and prayers.
~Susan

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Same here.Hopeing for a great recovey.
Vickie

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Pain and depression are a vicious cycle - the more depressed you are, the less able you are to cope with pain and obviously pain is not a happy-maker. It is difficult to maintain and even mood when one is in pain, and with the prospect of more pain it's VERY depressing.

Well I have my surgery date for April 27 at Broward General Hospital in Plantation Fl, a good 20 miles from my home. Don't know why as we have three of the finest hospitals within a five mile distance from my house but I found out today that he does his surgery there. Some doctors have their favorites and I guess Broward General is it. This also means that I shall not see my grandson for three days after surgery which is the only thing that really bothers me as my son will be working but he will be off Saturday, Sunday and Monday by which time I should be on my way home! I will be seeing my surgeon at 3pm today and my cardiologist at 2:15 pm as they are in the same building.

mulege, Mexico

I have my first appointment with a podiatrist on April 27. We can be psychiclly connected in this stuff. I've been in alot of pain with my right foot and it's just no fun.

I'll be thinking of you and saying prayers for a quick recovery.

katie

Katie -- It is a good feeling to know I won't be alone. It is also amazing that I too have problems with my right ankle because of polio as a child and having bone fusion surgery because I had severe drop foot. Arthritis bothers that occasionally also so we really have something in common.
Meanwhile I was told by my surgeon that this hospital devotes an entire floor and specially trained nurses to assist so that made me fell a lot better. I got the all clear from my cardiologist yesterday so the surgery is 90% on except for the results of a blood profile. We'll see!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

My best to you both!!!! (Although I do have bad bronchitis again, but I'm on steroids, so my best is about 115% of my ordinary best.)

I will be glad when my surgery is over but then the same thing must be done on my left shoulder. All-In-All I'm looking at a recovery time of at least six months and lots of uncomfortable surgery. If I'm lucky I will be able to make my tomato season in October....I'll be down to four EBs but that is better than none...

mulege, Mexico

Ted, the important thing is that you get the surgeries done. Nothing else really matters if you aren't able to enjoy it. EB's can be replaced. You can't. End of lecture.

hugs, katie

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Katies right Ted. We all will be with both of you.I wrote it beside my puter.
We'll be with you while you recouperate also.
Vickie

My right shoulder needs immediate surgery and soon my left shoulder also but this morning my left shoulder started to pain as bad as my left? This is going to be fun! Of course they can not be operated at the same time otherwise I will be useless.
A nurse and a therapist will be helping me in my home for a couple of months until I can manage myself but meanwhile I'll have to use my left arm for everything. I sure hope I'll be able to manage and not pop vicadin all the time?

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

I know you'll be able to handle it Ted. Glad you'll have a nurse and therapist.Let them spoil you.
Its always a scary feeling to have surgery.But remember it'll be such a releif to have it done.

It will be a relief especially the pain. I am forced to take vicadin. I don't like taking them but life would be so very painful without it. I could not believe the x-rays showing my shoulder being held togeather by ligaments only. All the bones are rotted away! Talk about shock! My left shoulder isn't much better but at least the bones are still there. Orders from my surgeon are do not lift anything at this time and I can fully understand why...

mulege, Mexico

Ted, I cannot imangine what it would be like to see x-rays like that. And having to wait almost another three weeks for the surgery is hard. You encourage me and I hope you will keep that in mind. My foot is so painful that I, too, take vicodin. I'm still often barely able to move around or even sit comfortably. If I do any errands, small taks and such in the morning I usually pass out in the afternoon from the pain. It's no darn fun at all and having to wait for treatment is also a bear. I'll be thinking it doesn't hurt much, then notice I'm in a cold sweat and just need to lie down.

We wait together. Patience may or may not be a virtue but for us it's a necessity.

hugs, katie

Katie -- I refer to WEBMD.com for info on arthritis especially rheumatoid which is the absolute worse. One fact about arthritis is that it makes one tire very easily and that is so true with me. Come afternoon I am exhausted and just lie down for a quick nap.

mulege, Mexico

Ted, I hope your surgery went well. You are probably not able to write but even an "OK" or a message from someone in your family would be gooid to hear.

My appointment with the podiatrist went well. No surgery in the forseeable future. I have a brce which I need to wear while I'm sleeping and it's already helping.

I'm back home from my trip and need some sleep but I'm kind of wired.

hugs, katie

KATIE --SURGERY COMPLETED ON 27APRIL. NO WAY TO REALLY TYPE WITH LEFT HAND ANDTHISHUGE SLING THAT PARTIALLY BLOCKS MY VIEW OFCOMPUTER.. I READ ALL THOUGH.----

mulege, Mexico

Hi Ted, I'm so glad to know that you made it through OK. I'm sure the recovery will take some time but the worst is over. You're in my prayers.

love, katie

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Glad to hear from you Ted. Things should start going better now.
Vickie

mulege, Mexico

I'm still recovering from my trip. It's very tiring, especially when made in a week. I also caught a cold which I'm having trouble shaking. However, my foot is much better and I am recovering.

My neighbors left two days ago for their summer in Washington - without saying goodbye. People are just f...ing crazy, I think. Present company excepted.

Ted, hope you are recovering and allowing yourself to take it easy - advice I should be giving myself.

hugs, katie

A LITTLE UNCOMFORTABLE TODAY. THERAPY MAKES MY ARM SORE FOR A DAY OR SO AND TODAY IS NOT AN EXCEPTION.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Hope both of you are taking care of yourselves.
Hope you are staying off your foot Katie.
I squeeked out of going to the hospital yesterday. My blood pressure and blood sugar was sky high.I promised to take care of myself and both are down now tho still a little high.
Vickie

VICKIE - YOUSHOULD GO TO THE HOSPITAL WHEN NECESSARY. AFTERALL THEY ARE THERE TO HELP YOU WHICH YOU NEED!

TODAY AND YESTERDAY WEREAND STILL ARE PAINFUL DAYS FOR ME AS THE WEATHER HAS BEEN RAINY AND OF COURSE DAMP. NOT THE BEST FOR MY RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Thankyou for the concern TPLANT. I was an EMT and can do the basic caretaking of myself. And once i'm chewed out for neglecting myself I do toe the mark and behave myself.Sitting in the garden with my flowers should bring anyones BP down.
Vickie

SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL(Zone 8b)

Ted, I don't go to the forum page as often as I should so I don't pick up on new threads on the forum. Hope all is well. My prayers for as speedy a recovery as possible. Kay*

YES IT IS MISERABLE TO BE VCONFINED TO THE HOUSE DURING MY MELON SEASON. FORTUNEATELY WATERMELONS ARE FAIRLY EASY TO GROW. JUST LET THEM BE AND MYAUTO WATERING SYSTEM DOES THE REST.

mulege, Mexico

Just dropping in to say hi Ted. Hope your recovery is going OK. My foot is much better. Now is the hard part - working to get back some of the function lost whle I was laid up.

hugs, katie

Katie - YES IT IS PAINFUL FOR AWHILE. I STILL HAVE ATHERAPIST COME TO MY HOME AND HE DOES ALL THE MOTIONS OF STRETCHING FOR ME SO IT IS NOT SO PAINFUL BUT MY LEFT ARM IS STARTING TO HURT A LOT JUST AS MUCH AS MY RIGHT ARM THAT HAD SURGERY. I'M DOWN TO ONE OXYCONDINE A DAY AND THAT IS IN THE MORNING.

mulege, Mexico

Ted - Glad to know that you are managing so well. One painkiller a day is great. Are you going to have surgery on the left shoulder? About ten years ago I went through have about ten (blessedly minor) surgeries in about a year. Even though all were minor, especially compared to yours, there was a cumulative effect and it took a long time to recover.

Hope you are being kind to yourself and going easy. And enjoying time with your grandson.

hugs, katie

YES, I MUST HAVE SURGERY ON MY LEFT ARM ALSO. SAME AS MY RIGHT ARM . SHOULDER REPLACEMENT. THIS WILL BE IN ABOUT SIX MONTHS OR SO. I AM GETTING VERY DEPRESSED ABOUT ALL THIS. CAN ONLY USE MY LEFT ARM AND THAT ONE IS ALSO PAINFUL WHEN I REACH. I MUST NOT LIFT ANYTHING WHICH IS EASIER SAID THAN DONE ESPECIALLY WHEN I MUST MAKE MY COFFEE.

mulege, Mexico

With the problem with my right foot it was very hard to move around but I am able to use both arms as long as I don't need to be very strong. Tony hasa to do most anything that calls for a strong arm. I can only imagine how difficult it is for you now. We need Rube Goldburg to invent devices that will allow you to make coffee with minimal use of your left hand/arm. Meanwhil I would advocate patience but I hate to preach what I don't practice.

Just remember you are not alone.

hugs, katie

I know what you mean. It's great to have friends on DG....All I want to do is get baCK TO FULL TIME GARDENING AND PROPER TWO HAND TYPING. LOL

SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL(Zone 8b)

I wonder, do they still make those pre-measured drop in filter packs of coffee? Or, is it pouring the water that's difficult?
Being functionally blind, it is measuring things properly that's time consuming. When my right elbow was giving me grief and wouldn't take much weight, I had to pour the water into the pot in tiny amounts. I could support my right elbow with my left hand though. I imagine a problem with both shoulders is much harder to find ways around and very frustrating. k*

AS FAR AS I KNOW THEY STILL DO.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.