Transplanted Peonies

Bucyrus, OH(Zone 6a)

I moved several peonies last year, yesterday I saw where they were all starting to poke through the ground. Will they bloom this year or probably not? I transplanted them in August of last year.

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

I have always had good luck with blooming the year following planting. Seems like you had them in the ground in plenty of time for them to grow some before dormancy. Assuming they were planted to the right depth.. I would think you have a good change. what kind did you plant. And how big were they?

Bucyrus, OH(Zone 6a)

They are old heirloom ones that were here when we moved in but were being taken over by some bushes, the neighbor said they have been here for at least the 45 yrs she's lived here. It was really hard to dig them out because of the bushes that were around them, but I got 3+ eyes on each one I could get, except for one that my husband broke but I planted it anyway. They are a mix of white, light pink and a darker pink.

they must have been difficult to dig, even without the bushes. After 45 years their tubers and such must have been huge. I bet by the time you divided them you had a bazillion plants. No idea what they are by name, huh?

Bucyrus, OH(Zone 6a)

They were very difficult to get to and I don't think we got all of them, I think parts are under the bushes, which is why they needed to be moved. I got 6 good sized starts and they all seem to be coming up, I put them with the other 2 which have come up but haven't bloomed since we bought the house. I removed some of the dirt over them this past weekend so hopefully they'll bloom this year. I have no idea what they are, I posted for an ID of one of them last week on here but no one answered that part.

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

Peonies are much like roses and irises; there are many of almost identical color and shape. One of our forum experts says you need an accurate picture of not only the blossom but, also, the leaves and the entire plant in order to come close to an id. One way for a possible id is wait until they bloom then check some of the online catalogs featuring heirloom and species peonies. Your picture of the very dark rose/pink suggests 'Karl Rosenfeld or Rosenfield'. It is spelled both ways.

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

A good place to begin looking for heirloom peonies.

http://hiddenspringsflowerfarm.com/

Bucyrus, OH(Zone 6a)

Thank you, I thought it resembled Break O Day, but when they bloom I'll post more pics so we can figure it out.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Yesterday I transplanted about 6 peonies. They were planted about 3-4 years ago, and while they sprouted every year, even when they formed buds, they seldom bloomed. I figured it was insufficient sunlight.

Since they hadn't gotten too bushy, I never dreamed that the roots below had grown much. The plan was to move them with as much soil as possible so that the roots would not be disturbed. To my surprise they had large root systems, and it is my guess that they were also planted just a little too deep. They have already started spring growth (despite snow after snow after snow), and are no more than an inch below the soil. I fully expect that they may not bloom this year, but they'll be happy enough to bloom next year.

Want to bet? lol. I bet they bloom beautifully. With the huge root structure, surely you were right about the depth being the problem. Be interesting to see what happens. I will watch for your results. (with fingers crosses)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.