Hi! I thought I was a veteran gardner until I came here!

Machiasport, ME

Hello NE gardeners, you fearless souls
This marks my 6th year of trying to figure this soil and climate out. I'm in Machiasport Maine on the coast, and the sea is 80 feet from my garden. Before I came here, I almost never ate grocery store food for 40 years. Now, I face another try to grow ONE tomato full season (the 65 day to harvest). Last year, my sweet peas struggled the whole summer to crank out a few measly pints. I never knew slugs loved broccoli! wow...The soil is clay, sand and rock, but I've trucked in "good" garden soil. This soil never heats up even with black plastic! It's like perpetual spring weather during the summer. If I can't grow it, is there anybody who'd love to sell their excess, so I can CAN/freeze for next year? wow, I'm starting my seeds again....Anyone have any advice? I'd appreciate it.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

If you have local farm stands that sell home grown tomatoes and other vegetables, you might want to ask the one that grows them just how they do it.

Other than that I would consider using heavy duty clear plastic hoisted and attached to rebar stakes to protect the plant from any wind on three sides, leaving the south side totally open to the sun.

Good luck!

Eastport and The Friendly Diner with those fantastic lobster rolls are just an hour east of you! They're better than tomatoes.

Machiasport, ME

Thanks pirl,
I should get out more! Somebody must have conquered this over here. But then, I notice I seem to be the only one trying to vegetable garden. (?!) Unfortunately, I haven't found homegrown produce....except lettuce, or spinach. Everything else is brought in.
Ok, my house is super small one room...I'm just going to turn it into a greenhouse. haha

Try growing whatever you want, despite the climate. It might be frustrating but you might also be encouraging others to try it.

Sleeping in a greenhouse sounds so lovely!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Good idea , Pirl. I second the idea of sleeping in a greenhouse in the winter, but once it gets about 80 I'm done.

Celeste and Frank should be able to chime in. I am missing someone else from ME?

Mainiac!

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

if you trucked in good dirt liz you should be ok - depending on where the house is to the ocean maybe try using it as a shield and veggy garden behind the house? just a suggestion

Thomaston, CT

Try a cold frame.....you can make one using old storm windows & doors....keep your tomato plants in there all season.....

Contact your local County Extension Service and talk to them. They may be lonely anyhow.

Cold frames keep coming up. I do not see in the middle of winter how any foundation or coverage will keep a plant from freezing without some type of heat. In my own opinion its Impossible........

Thomaston, CT

Thinking about for the summer season, Sherrie!

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Elizabeth, welcome! You sound like you have a very tough climate there. I wonder if daylilies would do well? I'm not very good at growing produce, so I stick with perennials. Sorry I can't be of any other help to you.

Karen

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

I don't do much veggie gardening either, but what about earth boxes. I know many people love them, especially for tomatoes.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Elizabeth, try cherry tomatoes, the f1 hybrid 100s, and start them inside. I use the Renee's Garden tricolor candy. They're very sweet, especially the yellows. We start them inside at the end of February. I'd move them to a cold frame early as possible,

We do large container gardening (35 gallon containers). If you try that, you can plant them within 12 inches of the top, and they'll be protected from wind. You can also put plastic, plexiglas or glass across the top till it gets warm enough and the plants get stronger. When we use containers, we elevate them on milk cartons for best exposure. They've got to have lots of sun.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.