CLOSED: 4 IDs Please

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I took these at the San Diego Zoo. They were flying all over the aviary...I was hopeful they would land on their ID sign....but no.

Thumbnail by duckmother

Thumbnail by duckmother

Thumbnail by duckmother

Thumbnail by duckmother
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

#1 Oriental Dollarbird Eurystomus orientalis

#3 is a pigeon of some sort, will check more

#2 and #4, don't know!

Resin

Cleburne, TX(Zone 8a)

Is # 4 a some type of dove ?

PERTH, Australia

Hi, Kim. Have you got any other shots of 2 & 4?

I'm wondering if #4 could be a White-bellied Go-away bird.

This message was edited Mar 13, 2011 8:51 PM

Thanks a bunch, Resin!

Lew, I am thinking that 3 is a pigeon/dove relation and I found a bird similar but its face was completely white...

Mags, I wish I did have more pix. There were so many birds and most did not give me very long to see them, focus and shoot ;o) You may be spot-on with your ID, however, I did not see any pix in which there was a colored eye ring...I wonder if juvies do...I will look some more. Thanks for idea.

Took another look through the pigeons in HBW and couldn't find it, perhaps not surprising with over 300 species to search through. I suspect to be honest it could easily just be some fancy breed of domesticated Rock Dove (i.e., feral pigeon).

Quote from MargaretK :
I'm wondering if #4 could be a White-bellied Go-away bird.

Could well be, yes.

Resin

Thanks for looking through so many pix, Resin! If you cannot figure it out, there is no way that I will be able!!

PERTH, Australia

Kim, I've almost driven myself nuts trying to narrow down #2. The closest I can get is an Antbird. What do you think, Resin?

Marlton, NJ

It might be a Spot-backed Antshrike. (maybe) :-)

Marlton, NJ

Here is a link to look at.

http://www.camacdonald.com/birding/Sampler6_Antbirds.htm

PERTH, Australia

I was looking at them as well, Pelle. Dunno.

Looked through all the antbirds and relatives, and couldn't find a good match. Trying bulbuls and relatives next. That's the trouple, not knowing even which continent it is from!

Resin

PERTH, Australia

I agree. Knowing which continent to zero in on. I thought it would be unlikely to be from Europe, Africa or North America, as you'd know every single bird species. I've gone through my Australian Bulbuls and nothing looks even remotely similar.

Kim, there's only one thing to do. You've got to go back to the Zoo and get the ID's.

Or at least, e-mail them the pics!

Resin

PERTH, Australia

I actually tried to do that yesterday, Resin. Their "contact us" email is really whacky. Won't accept names because it doesn't have enough numbers!

Awww, thanks so much for trying to help with these IDs!

I think I may have found #3 Collared Imperial Pigeon http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collared_Imperial-pigeon
What do y'all think?

#4 With Margaret's great idea about the "Go Away Bird," I looked up other family members...I found a Guinea/Green Turaco which had a picture of one that had lots of sun to its back and the bird looked gray with a purple/red eye ring. But can I find that site tonight? NOOOOO ;o)

Pell, you had a very good suggestion and the bird is close but I don't think so.

Margaret, I tried to contact the SD Zoo also. I did not have any luck either.

Again, thank you all so much for the help!

Quote from duckmother :
I think I may have found #3 Collared Imperial Pigeon

Yep, that looks to be it!

Resin

PERTH, Australia

Any progress on #2, Resin? I'm slowly but surely going out of my mind. I've googled every imaginable possibility and apart from seeing some very beautiful birds I've never seen or heard of before, I've drawn a complete blank. It's a shame the San Diego Zoo is proving nigh on impossible to contact over the internet.

Nope! I'll try it on another forum I'm on.

Resin

Got the answer, thanks to Scott M; Spotted Laughingthrush Garrulax ocellatus (syn. Ianthocincla ocellata). Native to central China.

Resin

Oh Thank You, Resin...and Scott! I am so glad y'all have so much knowledge!!

PERTH, Australia

Whew!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.