New Clematis's

Dayton, OH

Went to Wal-Mart today bought 2 Clematis's 'Belle of Woking' and 'City of Lyon' each package contains one root and cost $5.00 ea.
The thing is do I keep them in the package or do I plant in a pot or what

Toledo, OH(Zone 5b)

Pot them up! they are your new babies. I would use a one gallon pot and plant them out in the fall. You could plant them out now but they sometimes get lost or damaged.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Dan is right - pot them up and remember to plant them deeply.

I have the same City of Lyon from the same store and love it. Now it's about five years old. Belle is a common one but well worth the $5.00.

Enjoy.

This message was edited Mar 14, 2011 7:58 PM

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

One of the loveliest clematises I've ever seen is Belle Of Woking at Dana Borglum's garden in Geneva, NY. It's growing on a tree, and in quite a bit of shade. Zone 6.

Thumbnail by pollyk
Dayton, OH

Thanks guy's for your help and Polly your picture is very lovely. I hope I live long enough to see all my flowers grow.

Has anyone ever bought any Clematis's from Donahue's? I've heard some bad things about them.

They are very small. I prefer Brushwood and if you win the lottery there's always Silver Star Vinery.

Dayton, OH

Thanks Pirl, I know what your mean by Silver Star Vinery to much for me.
I ordered some Clematis's from Brushwood, but Donahues had some that Brushwood didn't.

This message was edited Mar 12, 2011 10:26 PM

They are gorgeous and Debbie is wonderful but they're also pricey.

Naugatuck, CT(Zone 5a)

I ordered from both for the first time, very excited to see what they send!

You will be VERY excited to see them! Enjoy!

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Which clematis did everyone order this year? I ordered only from Brushwood, and thanks to pirl, Omishoro was one of the few that I got.

I'd have to look at my order to find out. I'll do it in the morning.

Remember to change your clocks.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

I bought some clems through a Donahue co op last year. I was very pleased at the size. They fully filled a 3.5 pot and were very healthy. I had some blooming by the summer.

Thumbnail by bananna18
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Great pix everyone.My clems are barely budded but showing promise

Athens, PA

I ordered Donohues clematis through the co op last year. I have them in pots, heeled in for the winter in my back yard. I was thinking that they should be big enough to plant directly into the ground this year.... The problem I had with Donohues is they are small, but in a co op I really did not expect to receive gallon sized plants.

Banana - how do you like your Huldine? I have had mine for 3 years and it has never flowered. I was thinking about moving mine this spring before it comes out of dormancy. I am wondering if is getting enough light. My understanding is that it is supposed to be quite vigorous.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I buy quite a few of mine from Donahue. Great prices, but you need to baby them for awhile. If you can do that, they're good. I'm also buying from Brushwood this year.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

You will be amazed at the difference in size.Brushwoods are twice as big.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

And 4-5 times the price for me. I don't mind babying them. I've never lost any.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I am still looking for Kingfisher to emerge. In a few weeks with warm weather I should see it or not.

Athens, PA

I don't have any problem babying tiny clems and I have not had any issues in doing it this way. I just have 1 clem from Donohues that I am questioning whether it will come back or not. Because of the severe drought we had last year, it was difficult to keep well established plants alive. This was not Donohues fault, as it was a difficult year for plants all the way around for me. Truthfully I will not know for another several months what I have lost and what made it through last Summer.

I have posted this picture before, but Madame Julia Corrovan was a small liner pot when I bought her. I think I paid all of $4 for her.....

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

Beautiful, Carolyn.

My 'Liberation' was one of those cheap end of season buys and I love it. The montana 'Grandiflora' is the white one.

Thumbnail by pirl
Athens, PA

Arlene

Every time I see pictures of your Liberation, I tell myself that is another one that I have to have. I just love it and the white of the Montana really sets off Liberation.

This is Ville de Lyon, another liner pot I bought. I believe this is also what is referred to as City of Lyon now.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Athens, PA

When I was looking for Durandii, I could only find him in a liner pot size.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

I have had Huldine for one season so we aren't at monster growth yet. I have heard now that others have been disappointed with the anticipated blooms too. One recommendation from England is to cut back in November instead of February.

Banana - it might be wroth a try to get it to look as lush as you want it to be.

Carolyn - Your Ville de Lyon looks SO much better than mine. I moved mine last year in the hopes of having it imitate yours. The Ville de Lyon/City of Lyon may be the exact same plant but they've run into issues over use of the name.

Durandi is divine. Sometimes we can only get a clematis in the tiny size but they are so much more likely to face death if we take vacations and don't have a watering system to cover them.

I bought twelve through one co-op a few years ago and only one survived despite my loving care, Dr. Ruppel. Reports from other people were very similar to mine. Lesson learned! $48.00, plus shipping, is just too much for one baby clematis.

In general, you get what you pay for (even though that ends a sentence with a preposition).

Thumbnail by pirl
Athens, PA

England would be like a zone 8 from my understanding. The rule of thumb that I have gone by is to cut back by the time the forsythia are in bloom. Typically that is Aprilish for me and I fertilize at that time as well.

I have several that I want to move, so we'll see how it goes with Huldine...... I was also thinking about trying some of the serpentine layering this year.

I did that with Henryi a few years ago and now it must have 20 stems coming out!

Athens, PA

Arlene

I love Dr. Rupple. I have him planted with a yellow climbing rose. Each year, he gets better and better. I bought mine from Lowes in a gallon container.

We will see what happens with him this year....

(funny you mentioned ending a sentence with a preposition - I thought I was only one that was tried to be conscious of that!)

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Ohhhhh Gawwwwd I need spring to come.
QUESTION:When planting 2 clems as companions, do you dig 1 big hole or 2 seperate one ?

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Layering would do the trick!
Just to clarify, the suggestion from England is generally to cut back viticellas in February, but Huldine was the exception.. Ofcourse when zones are different who knows what is better?
Just love your VDL and MJC. I have those too and hope they look like that one day.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

I dig one bigger hole and leave space between the plants. Also put a marker over the roots ....don't know if that is necessary but helps me if I want to move it before it gets too big.
Hang in there ge1836

ge - one big hole works fine with me.

banana - Niobe can be another tricky one to cut back.

Funny, Carolyn, because I just did it again when I said, "...coming out."

I have a few Dr. Ruppel but could have had two others from Silver Star Vinery or three from Brushwood for the price I paid on that co-op, plus shipping! What a disappointment.

We are very busy on this thread today!

Thumbnail by pirl
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Its because the clems are showing growth here.

Athens, PA

If there is a remote possibility that you will be moving your clematis, then I would leave space between the 2 plants..... If not then they can go into the same hole. I have planted 2 different clematis in the same hole, right next to each other and on either side of a rose and not had any issues. Just be sure when you are planting to add some bone meal for good root development and plant your clematis at a 45 degree angle and about an inch or two deeper than the level in the pot. This should promote good vining from the crown of the plant.

This is Violet Charm. She is planted next to Miss Bateman, whom is planted next to Proteus.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

YOU are killin me with the clems on fences Carolyn. No fences allowed in this neighborhood. I am panting for tomorrow. Its the first day my fav greenhouse plant store opens.
I have a list and since Pirl said plant with bone meal and compost I am buying bone meal.
Also some deer repellent and Rose -tomatoe food to feed the clema I planted last year.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Carolyn, what material are you using for the trellis?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

BTW how much bone meal added to a hole?

Athens, PA

JoAnn

too bad you cannot have a fence. We didn't have any fencing when we moved in and because of the town ordinances, we were required to put in fencing when we put in the pond. I do love the fencing and in the Summer we close the gates, which makes our yard very private. We live in the middle of town, so it is nice that we can close of the world at will....

Can you put in an arborvite hedge or perhaps a hedge of lilacs?

Athens, PA

I add a small handful of bonemeal and mix it into the soil at the bottom of the hole.....

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Carolyn, I'm guessing the trellis you used is a plastic or plastic coated of some sort?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.