Better every day!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

The last thread was getting a little long so I guess we better have a new one!
We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1158534/

Things continue to get better and better around here and we are running at an even pace.

The weather is warming up and hope springs eternal.

Life is good!

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Di, I am in northern Ky. straight down 71 to Henry County. It is about 75 miles south of Cincinnati. I welcome any DG're to come visit.

Chele I don't think anyone expects a mansion. I don't think any of us here live in one. Just a nice comfortable house. Sure sounds good to me.

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

I just say if the Health Dept hasn't shut me down, it's good enough! I don't live in a " Better Homes and Gardens" house and I wouldn't know how to be comfortable in one.

I hope to be able to come over, chat and drink some beer to celebrate the beginning of spring and the end of your dry spell. Any help in preparation that I can do, just let me know. I can't wait to meet Nolan! Lou

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

There is something seriously wrong with people who don't have dirt in their houses, lol.

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

Going by that Ky, I must be seriously "right"

Chele, it was 97 the last time the river flooded like this... it was worse, a few feet higher. I was pregnant with the youngest.

When I went to Cincy this afternoon, the water was on the road in Point Pleasant and just this side of New Richmond, but the road wasn't all the way covered--it still had a dry side. I was down there 2 and a half hours, and when I came back through, the State boys were closing it just on this side of New Richmond, but one side still had a dry strip about 5 feet wide. When I got to point pleasant, the signs were up marking the road closed, but the car in front of me went through, and since I could still see pavement on the left side of the road, albeit with about 2 inches of water sitting on it, I went through it too. They probably aren't passable at all now.

It's too dark to go out now, but I'll pot them up in the morning. I worry about how hot it gets in there during the day though.

Well, let's get this meeting under way. The first thing is to pick a date. I can't wait to sit and chat, and if I have any plants/seedlings to trade that will be good, if not, it is still okay. The purpose I thought of these RU's was to get to meet in person, and to talk and just enjoy the company. I enjoyed the 1st and the 2nd ones so much, because it seemed like that is what people did. Well, I enjoy them all, but those 2 stick out in my mind.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Good news then, you should all feel right at home. :P

LOL Lou! Health Department? hahaha I've been known to have some Bud Light hanging around.

Renee, the house looks pretty much like it did last time you were here since we haven't had money to do anything. :(

Melissa, I'm betting it was every bit of 80-85 in my greenhouse today with one of the roof vents all the way open. Can you leave them on a porch out of direct sunlight? I'm not sure what phase your plants are in. I was thinking they are dormant?

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I guess it took me too long to type, dealing with Nolan and watching a movie. LOL

I was thinking the middle or end of May so it will be warm but not intolerable. Now I have to hit between Mother's Day and Memorial Day. That leaves May 14-15 or May 21-22. Anybody got anything to do those weekends?

Either work for me, *assuming* I'm invited.

I need to look at them really well, but I think they were already out of dormancy when they got here. LOL I think my best bet might be to bring them to you with dirt and pots, and let you babysit them for me!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Of course you are invited! :P Can't have a get together without my PIC!

If they are already growing, you may have to put them somewhere cooler and sheltered. I was at Lowe's 2 weeks ago and they already had a bunch of fruiting plants out.

Right now either of those dates work. It is first come first served here, if something gets on the calendar then that is what is planned.

DH and I got out this afternoon, and cleaned out the daylilies. What a mess. I have got to get the preen put down really soon, as I already see many itty bitty weeds already coming. I know it won't kill those, but think of all the other ones I am not seeing.

Got everything ready to seed my tomatoes on Tuesday. I have a Dr appointment tomorrow, so it will be Tuesday.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

There's a lively discussion going on weed control in flower beds in this thread, if anyone is interested.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1159594/

My son planted a bunch of tomato & pepper seeds today. We still have a couple feet of snow everywhere. At least I don't have any weeds yet. LOL!

Bernie

Waddy, KY

I've got a couple flats of tomatoes and some zinnias up so far. Peppers have been seeded but it looks like it takes them a lot longer to germinate.

Miranda and I got the daylilies mowed off yesterday. Should have been done last fall but it just didn't work our. This week it's time to get the spray out and get started. IF I can get a handle on this maybe I can keep the place fairly clean this year. At least we have a trailer to be able to move the mower up there so it can be mowed regularly. I don't want the mess I had last year. I trimmed the blackberry canes but didn't get them pulled out of the trellis. If it warms up as they say then hopefully I can get that done. I also need to get started cleaning up the trash pile the builders threw outside the front door of the house. With all the mess from the front porch going on there it's a pretty big pile.

Dont' have a gauge out yet but it wouldn't surprise me if we got a couple inches of rain last night. It was mixed with snow when I was coming to work this morning.

Janet

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I can do either of those dates, so count me in whenever.

COnsidering all that's going on, I'll add, "God willing, and the crick don't rise."

Pat

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

How is it that I always have just a little bit too much work for one person yet not enough work or money to hire someone?? LOL

I'm busting buns getting the greenhouse finished..potted up a bunch of roots last night, have a larger order arriving in the next day or two. Hubby got the electric to the heater and still has to do the vent but ran out of time and had to go to work. I need to go out and switch two roof panels as he's going to have to cut one and I don't want him cutting a nice one. grumble grumble. Hopefully he can cut one that has a bit of marring on it and keep the good part. If not, I'll be cutting one of the extras.

Once I catch up on seeds and plants, I need to order cuttings. I think I just passed myself!

Guess I'll be running to Fairfield tomorrow or Wednesday to pick up Promix. That means I may have to stop at Jungle Jim's. Can go that far and not go. hahahaha

In the meantime, my neighbor requested more hair goods to sell as soccer season and softball season are starting so I busted out some of those last night and more this morning.

I just put Nolan down so I gotta run outside and see what I can get done without my helper. It's going to be raining tomorrow. Run run as fast as you can... Sorry to abandon you without a proper reply but I'll be back!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I'm going to have to build a bunch more shelves! LOL I had a ten foot one down one side and an 8' across the end to make a big L. Now I only have 18' (three high) of shelves on a 24' side. Sure is roomy in the bigger greenhouse but I know I'll fill it quickly. I had some metal shelving down the other side from one of those $50 portable greenhouses but after having it some 6-8 years, I think it's finally dead. I really can't complain. If I could find another one of those portable greenhouses for that price, I'd buy another one just for the shelves!

I had to go look. I actually bought that in January of 2003!

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

The year before (2002), I started everything in the basement and hardened it in a little hoophouse or started them in the hoophouse. I called it "The Hoopster". LOL

It's funny now, to think how far I've come. It started with three tomato plants...

Thumbnail by Badseed

Chele, you certainly have come a long way. I may be getting my greenhouse. It will be a compromise, but I can do that. DH wants a new 30 foot metal building, and I am totally against that for several reasons, the main one being that he has 2 barns and a 2 car garage to keep all his "stuff" in. But if I can propose that he can build his building, but with a shed frame attached to one side, and have it finished with the poly, electric and water, I will agree to another barn!! Is that sneaky or what?

Pat so glad to hear that you will be at the gathering.

Chele, are you going to post over on the other thread? If so why don't you just say it is a get together, and not call it an RU. Some seem to get panties in a wad over that designation. Oh, what the heck, call it anything you want to call it, cause as pat says, if the Lord is willing and the creek don't rise, I will be there.

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Just don't make it this week, 'cause the creek is really rising big time here, lol!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Well, I think that is a pretty good compromise on the greenhouse Bonnie! I've seen some absolutely gorgeous leanto greenhouses! If you are already clearing and building, that would be the perfect opportunity. I almost suggested you adding one to your potting building. You already have all your goods there.

I don't really post on the other thread. I read to make sure everyone is alright but I don't really feel welcome so I don't post. I figured I'd just start my own post and if anyone wanted to comment they could and if not, that was fine too. It was either that or leave this forum altogether. I figure that anyone who's interested or cares already looks here or writes to me privately or on facebook. Those are the same people that would be interested in coming here and celebrating my not being homeless. LOL

It's not a roundup. I'm having friends over. :P

Bonnie, I am tickled for you! We've talked about doing that too... if we ever get a new building built that is!

Quoting:
celebrating my not being homeless

Chele, thanks... I needed to clean my monitor.

Waddy, KY

Bonnie, how many flats of tomatoes and other stuff do you start. Gardner's supply has a little 6X8 temporary greenhouse, has a zipper door that will hold around 24 or so flats. That's what I'm using right now as I know I can't get the other greenhouse up until we get in the house. I just run a cord out to it and put a little electric heater in it. It keeps it warm enough at night to keep stuff from freezing. I use tie down straps and tent pegs to keep it in the ground. When I'm done with it I just take it down and put it away until next year. You can get replacement covers for it if they rip. I need to get some more stuff seeded myself and get them out there. Right now I've got around 300 tomato plants up and going. The peppers haven't sprouted yet.

Is it going to dry out anytime soon?

Janet, I might get that for this year, as there is no way that a building can go up that quick, like I needed it yesterday.

Raining here, and Janet, they predict it will be July 4th before it is completely dry!!

Waddy, KY

Thank you Ms Optimistic!!!

Chele, get you some PVC pipe and some tees. If you still have the racks you can use that to make the shelves.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Rain, rain, rain. Bleck! I think it's supposed to be nice this weekend. :)

Janet, you know the PVC solution was too easy to think of. LOL I just sketched it out and will price it. If all the shelves are sound, I have enough to do 16 linear feet, 4 shelves high. I was thinking yesterday of other possibilities to use the tops and build the shelves quicker and easier. The shelves on the other side are 2x4s with coated green wire tops. I don't remember what it cost me to build them but it was cheaper than anything else I could come up with.

The guy should be here any minute to drop my tank and fill my gas. Wish me luck. I've already had one near tragedy today...

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

It's official! I have gas. :P

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

Don't we all! KLOL Lou

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL Lou!

No sooner than they got the gas hooked to the heater and tested it, the sun came out and the temp in the greenhouse went up almost 20 degrees. I told them I'd get plenty of use of it in the evenings. The sun disappeared soon after. I'm excited to finally have a real heater and gas!! Not to mention, the larger greenhouse thrills me. I need more shelves before everything needs transplanted. Hubby is also putting outlets in for me and lights. I may never come in the house again...hahahaha

The best part of all of it, is that it's all paid for! No bills coming in later, not even for plants or seeds or anything else except the small bit of electric it will use. I will however need a sizable loan for dirt and potting mix. grumble grumble EVERYTHING is so much better than it was the last few years so I'm no complaining. ;)

Seminole, OK(Zone 7a)

Hello,
I have never posted on this series of threads but I read every one of them. I sort of "met" Badseed on the chat some time ago I don't really remember how long ago. I had a similiar experience with layoffs with both myself and my husband and had to let a house go. Not anywhere near as traumatic as yours. I love hearing about your family and your greenhouses. I celebrate your not being homeless!!!!
It gives me hope that all bad things finally come to an end.
I can't wait to read about all the plants you are going to grow.
Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Amber

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi Amber,

It is really nice to see you here! I'm glad you took the time to say hello. :) It's good to hear from you.

I'm sorry you had to give up your house. :( In the end, I was no longer fighting to keep the house but fighting the bank because what they did was wrong. Things were put into motion and on paperwork to help people that were struggling, due to no fault of their own and the banks agreed to work with those people and they got help when they were in trouble. It doesn't seem they did help many willingly. I have no idea what they'll do with the real estate they've collected. It's ridiculous and senseless. I've helped several other people since winning my battle and I'm glad that I knew enough to help.

Things will bounce back eventually and you will be okay. I know it's awful when you are waiting to get to that point. Try to have faith in something or look forward to something or just try to do little things that make you smile. It'll work out.

You are certainly welcome to celebrate with us long distance. :)

Hi Amber, although this is the Ohio River Valley forum, we can probably stretch it far enough to cover your area! Hehe. Naw just kidding, glad to have you, and so sorry that things aren't better for you. Have faith, Chele just hung in there, living from day to day, and lots of people praying for their situation, and it has finally come to an end. I am sure that while she was going through the worst of it she thought it would never be better, but it is, and I for one rejoice with her that things are certainly looking up.

I got out and put preen down in all the flower beds even the daylilies. So hope that I won't have to weed as much as I did last year.

Janet, I probably will have something like 18-20 flats. That is tomatoes and some annual flowers.

Pardon me you all, I just have to vent. I am married to the most pessimestic person that God ever made. I was telling him at supper that I was going to order that greenhouse that Janet was talking about and put in the heater to keep things from freezing, and I listened to a lot of you will have tall spindley plants, yadayadayada. I swear if he doesn't do it, it isn't done right. Almost makes me want to give up trying to do any gardening at all, and just turn it all over to him. I guess that would put me in the place to say "I told you so" when things didn't turn out like he wanted/thought they would. It just burns me that I have worked all those years, retired with a pretty good retirement, and by durn can't spend it on what I want. Wasteful, you know.

Thank you, maybe I will be able to sleep tonight rather than plotting ways to kill him in his sleep.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Bonnie, go pick yourself out a nice greenhouse in the $5,000-6,000 range and set a picture of it on the table or somewhere he will see it. Once his briefs get all knotted up over one in that range, he'll be thrilled to buy you the smaller one. :) Make him think he's getting a bargain AND making you happy.

I asked Craig once why he chose me or what it was that drew him to me and he said he loved that I was not "mealy mouthed". I have no problem voicing my opinion. I'm sure there are a lot of days and times that he regrets that one. LOL If everything else is taken care of, I do worry about what I want. In this house of 9, I'd go by the wayside and do without if I didn't just say or do what I wanted. Most of the time, the kids get what they want or need first.

Forgot to tell you guys, I got all the black rubber seals in today on the whole left side back and front, except the eaves and got all the long pieces done on the right side. That doesn't leave me too much to do tomorrow. Craig said he'd take Nolan and do the grocery shopping so I plan to bust out the door and get on it ASAP.

I'm thinking I'm going to run to Fairfield and Jungle Jim's on Thursday if possible. I really need to get some Promix....I really should go tomorrow. Guess I should look at the weather...

Wait and leave at 3 and I'll go with you. ;)

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I could do that if I picked the kids up from school instead of had them ride the bus. Morganne probably wouldn't want to go so you could actually ride shotgun. LOL

Of course it is supposed to be nice and sunny 4 days in a row.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Craig and Nolan are headed to the grocery and I'm headed out to my other house. :P

Crossville, TN

Amber...I sneaked in all the way from AZ...I just love to read the Saga of The Badseed Family....I've loved them for 10 years now. Jo

Waddy, KY

Spindly plants my hiney!!! I'll hold my stuff up to anybody's outta that little house providing the sun ever shines around here again! Mercy if he doens't sound like my husband. If it's not his idea it's worth very little. And if there's something you want then it's last on the totem pole to get done. OHHHH don't get me started...

Got the last coat of finish on my church pew. It is now officially finished thank goodness. Next thing on the agenda is income taxes and finishing up the salsa making for the year. Got to hurry up cause we need to be spraying weeds and spreading fertilizer.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

You two are making me laugh. My husband tells people he wears the skirt in his house. LOL

I just finished putting 54 different jars of sprouting daylily seeds into 4" pots. I have about 15 more to do when Nolan goes down for his nap. Then I can get the rest into the fridge. I put a bunch of them in baby food jars with a piece of paper towel dampened with water and peroxide to plump them up. Then I tossed some wet MG soil in with them. They sprouted in about a week. Those are the ones I just dumped into pots. Guess I'll finish them up that way. This way they are staggered and I won't be assaulted all at once.

Love you too Jo!!

For this being a decent sunny day, I'd like to know where the sun is! I saw it ONCE since 10am!

Janet they must be twins!! I have had my rant, so will leave the subject alone. But feel free to take over where I left off.

I was hoping that he went to Florida this winter, and I would have hired a lot of stuff done around here that he thinks is low priority. Didn't happen, although his brother called several times wanting him to come down.

Been to the grocery, and just got everything put away. I don't see how it is possible to buy the amount I did, and still have nothing to eat.

Waddy, KY

And on top of that we might be taking on the neighbors 200 acres and he wants to put $15,000 of fertilizer on it!!!! And he had the gall last night to say that I might become intimate with the disc mower this summer. Like exactly when does he think I'm going to have time to cut hay??? I guess he has forgotten that I have a regular job plus all that baking.

Yes, we did some stuff while he was in the hospital and confined to the house that didn't make him happy but he couldn't do anything about it. If he'd stayed in there much longer I'd have had a smaller feed bill cause I'd have shipped some more cows. Missed out on that one.

WHOA!!! don't see the sun but I think I spy some blue up overhead. Could that be an opening in the cloud cover?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.