Trying Out Some New Exotic Medicinals

Flower Mound, TX

Greens survived the Winter freezes we had here in North Dallas, so lettuce, kale, spinach, and chard salads will continue til the Texas Summer hits..

Gotu Kola and Jiaogulan herb seedlings are transplanted (keeping my fingers crossed with these). And Lemon Balm is coming back nicely. Have Ashitaba, Costmary, and Holy Basil still under lights.

Thumbnail by jdbell
Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Any advice on germinating the Costmary would be appreciated?

Flower Mound, TX

Podster -

I'm attempting all my germinations under grow lights. I have one of those 4 shelf units that seem to do pretty well. I get almost 100% germination rates out of my veggies, and about 75-80% on my more 'exotic' herbs, including the Costmary.

One thing I do to that's a little different than the text book wisdom, is that I mix some worm castings in with the peat pellets in my growing trays. Provides some early nutrients to the seedlings. Seems to have improved my survival rate on seedlings.

Haven't transplanted the Costmary yet. Will keep group informed as I go along.

JD
http://www.mylifeinthedirt.com

The first batch of seed didn't germinate and I think I planted to deep. I think costmary will be easy to divide and/or transplant for you.

Elmira, NY(Zone 6a)

I have grown them from seed. You can surface sow and and start at room temp, but as I remember, I put used Norm Deno's Outdoor Treatment to get them started--sprinkled them on a paper towel that had been wet and wrung out (I always add some kelp to the water), fold the towel up, pressing gently, and put in a cheap plastic baggie, left unsealed, to put outside in a sheltered area, like an unheated garage. I put mine in a metal cabinet I have out on my covered patio. Then check for germination in the spring. When they germinated, I just tore pieces off the paper towel and gently pressed them into my planting soil. The roots grew right through the paper towels.

With perennials, I generally use Outdoor Treatment even if the directions don't necessarily call for cold stratification. They just seem to germinate more readily that way.

Thank you for that information. I had tried mine by wintersowing and haven't totally given up on them but may try another planting.
I appreciate your sharing your experience!

Elmira, NY(Zone 6a)

You're welcome. You are certainly right that it is easy to divide once it gets going. In fact, if you don't divide it, it gets peckish.

'Peckish' is a new term for me... could you elaborate please?

Elmira, NY(Zone 6a)

Irritable. :)

been there... thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.