What to do?

Dayton, OH

What can I do to my Red Japanese Maple Tree to get it growing?

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Please share with us more details about your tree. Do you know the cultivar name? How old is it? What is the tree's size right now? Where is located in your yard and what are the growing conditions like (i.e. is it a wet location, is it in full shade or full sun, etc.)? This information will help everyone give you better advice. For all we know, you could have selected a dwarf cultivar that isn't meant to grow very quickly.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

what gsox said :)

Dayton, OH

all I know it's a JRM Tree it's not a lacy leaf. It is not a bloodgood or any of the other's, it's just a JRM Tree. I'm sure it should be treated like any other Japanese Red Maple's

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Is it in a pot or in the ground? I don't know Ohio weather very well but some of my trees haven't broken dormancy here so I'd wait and see! Whatever you do don't overwater it or feed it right now.

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Not all Japanese Red Maples are created equal though. Without more information I don't think that you'll get much advice that you will find helpful.

Dayton, OH

Thanks anyway

FU, United States(Zone 9b)

This message was edited May 4, 2011 10:46 PM

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i do not fertilize jm's - and would not recommend it late in the season - that new growth will not be strong enough live through the winter. might be fine in Fl not anywhere north though.

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

I do not fertlize my JMs either, for what it's worth.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I don't fertilize either. Although I can't see that miracle grow would hurt, too much fertilizer can result in long 'whippy' growth.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Almost all Jms in NORTH take 1-2 years to really take off ( you will get some growth but not allot especially with the terrible weather we have had the last couple years ).. It seems like they need to put more energy in their roots .. this is for IN GROUND trees .potted trees do not have this dilemma . I generally don't see much growth for that two year period on most Jms then they grow normally but there are exceptions ... If it is an older tree it may just be a slow grower, be in too much shade or have too much competition from other trees and plants nearby... if a new tree I stand by the above statement . and buying smaller ebay trees exasperates the problem because their root systems really need to grow . If you want a tree that isn't a pin point buy a larger one to start out with. It will grow a bit faster but it won't need to as much to enjoy much more ... it is also a help with critters and dogs and other roaming beasts ... buying tiny plants with the addage " i like to see them grow " ( IE: read I don't want to pay nothing for a tree) and with those trees you get what you pay for ... Not everyone can afford a bigger tree but i see folks all the tine buying cheap ebay band pots and i always tell them save your money and and wait til you can buy ONE nice sized quality tree ..one nice tree is worth allot more than a bunch of twigs which many you will loose anyway. I know all of this because i was there and did that and was and am a fast learner ;>) Davidsan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.