Cannas for Postage: New Trader Needs Tips for Prep and Shipping

Mountain View, CA(Zone 9b)

Hello.
I have cannas I'd like to offer for postage. But first, as a first-time trader, I have some questions about prep and shipping.
Currently, I have several cannas in a large container, about 14" wide x 37" long x 12" deep. They've been in this container for 1.5 to 2 years now, so they're well-established and crowded. I had hoped to dig these up before they started putting up new shoots and leaves, but our warmer weather has already encouraged new growth. I need to remove all of the cannas soon, before they crack the container, and so that I can get the container ready for other plants that I expect to arrive in a couple of weeks. But before I post my offer, I need to dig the cannas up so I know how many I have to offer. Given this information, I have the following questions:
1. When I dig up the rhizomes, I'll try to keep them as intact as possible, but for those that break, is there anything special I should do to care for them?
2. How much of the roots should be kept attached to the rhizomes if possible?
;3. What is the best way to store the rhizomes until I'm ready to ship them?
4. Once I am ready to ship them, what is the best way to pack them--Is it okay to pack them without soil? Should I wrap the rhizomes in damp paper towels? Or is there something else I should do?
5. I was thinking of shipping the cannas in USPS flat-rate priority mail boxes, but I don't know how postage is handled for these. Would this work? Can people send postage in advance for these? Or would it be better to ship them a different way?
6. Are there any other tips that I should know that I haven't asked yet?
Thanks for all your help!
Michelle

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

Ok I'll do my best to answer all your questions
1) once out of the pot just leave all the peices over night or for 24 hours to dry out so where they were broken it's not wet
2)all roots can be cut off, ever fall I chop all my roots off and come spring they all grown back fast!
3)I would just leave hem out or you could put them in a box till it's packing time.
4)I don't pack them in anything wet hey mint rot. I usually just put them alone in he box or envelope and send them that way.
5)i have sent them in a bubble envelope and that has worked for me, you can do the boxes and yes people can send you postage first.
6)I always try to keep 3 new shoots per piece for best results when growing.

Best of luck
Jen

Hi, Jen.
Thanks for the info. I hesitate to send these in an envelope because several already have leaves and shoots up. I think a box will protect them better. But I'll have to see once I know exactly what I have. Think I better get the cannas out of the container now while I can. Chance of rain in the forecast again for the weekend. Thanks again for your help :)
Michelle

Hi, Jen.
Thought I'd post an update, and I have another question...
Wow! That container was pretty well packed! The next time I plant cannas in a container, I'll be sure to use one with straight sides! Looks like I have around 17 pieces with 3-6 eyes plus some smaller pieces with 1-2 eyes.
Anyway, they've taken a while for the broken ends to dry, but it looks like they're almost ready. (I suppose it took longer because they had already started growing with the warmer weather we had for a bit.)
The rhizome pieces are all shapes and sizes, so I'm not sure how best to let people know how much postage will be needed until I know how many pieces they want. I'd still prefer to send them in some type of box, and I was thinking that priority mail would be the best way to send them to minimize the length of travel time, especially given the uncertainty of the weather. I'm thinking that I should be able to send orders in the Tyvek priority envelopes with cardboard around the rhizomes to protect them. (These envelopes are the plasticky feeling ones, but the web says they can breathe.) Would it be all right to let people know that I'll be shipping the canna rhizomes via priority mail but that I'll need to let them know the cost once I know how many rhizome pieces they want?
Thanks for your help!
Michelle

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

Be careful when planting cannas in pots, never use one thats expensive cause cannas have been know to break through pots and just keep growing.
Ya people understand that shipping can very. I'm not to sure on your mailing cost as i'm in canada and for me to send someone a bubble envelope with a piece or two is usually $10. Do you have a box that is a set rate no matter what it weighs, as longs it fits in that box.. If so you can tell people you will fill that box for $$_____ amount of shipping. I use the paper envelopes and inside is covered in bubble rap so they dont get all banged up.
good luck
jen

Hi, Jen.
Yes, I read that about cannas recently on this forum. Hadn't realized that when I first planted my cannas, though. That's another reason I wanted to get them out of the container they were in sooner than later :) They were starting to push against the side enough that I could feel it starting to curve instead of being straight as it should be! I'll be sure to use an inexpensive container if I replant some :)
We do have some flat rate boxes of various sizes. There's a small one that's $5.20, but I'm not sure how many pieces will fit in it. I think that will depend on the shape of the rhizomes. The medium size is $10.95, but that box seems really big just to ship a couple of rhizomes in. If I use the envelope with the cardboard insert in it to protect the rhizomes, the post office charges by weight, so I guess I'll experiment a bit to see which would be the better price.
Michelle

This message was edited Mar 18, 2011 4:16 PM

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

You could sways ask the person if they only need a few peices that $5 and if the need a bit more $11. Some people will just want a piece or two to start there collection where others will want enough to do a nice pot or patch in there garden. Either way you can always take a pic of what they will receive and go from there.

In case anyone is interested and hasn't seen my post yet, I posted a thread on the plant trading forum. If you're interested in receiving orange cannas for postage, look for the thread entitled, "Orange Canna Rhizomes for Postage" on the plant trading forum. Thanks!
Michelle

Norristown, PA

I looked on the trade list and searched on cannas but didn't see your post. Do you still have any available? I'm new at Dave's Garden so let me know what to do if there are any left.

Thanks so much!

Sharon Harris

Hi, Sharon.
You probably didn't find my post because I've marked it as closed. I think I've found homes for all my cannas at this point, but I'll let you know if some become available (my trades are still in process). Thanks for asking, though! Meant to say something on this thread too, but forgot.
Michelle

Norristown, PA

Michelle -- thanks so much! Keep me posted if something becomes available.

Sharon

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.