5 Versatile Medicinal and Culinary Herbs You May Not Know

Charles City, VA(Zone 7a)

People garden for many different reasons. Herb gardening has always gained popularity during times of war or economic crisis, usually to increase the flavor or nutrition of otherwise bland or low quality dishes. Adding more herbs to your diet will help save you more money and give you a tasty, nutritious bonus to your diet. Here are five herbs that are rich in medicinal and culinary value and versatility, that you can grow in your garden and use frequently:

1) Sorrel 'Blonde de Lyon'
Rumex acetosa 'Blonde de Lyon'
An herb familiar to French cuisine, Sorrel is very high in Vitamins A, C and B1, as well as Potassium. Commonly made into soup or stew, you can also add it to your salads for a zesty kick that will pack a ton of nutrition into your meal. During long winters and arduous journeys, sorrel was eaten to prevent malnutrition and diseases like Scurvy, because of its high Vitamin C level. Perennial in zones 4-8, try adding Sorrel to your favorite soup, salad or fish dish for a lemony zest and boost of vitamins!

2) Alpine Strawberry
Rosaceae Fragaria vesca
These lovely little border plants are much sweeter than the usual strawberries you find in the grocery store. Smaller and more akin to wild strawberries, the Alpine Strawberry has value as both a medicinal and culinary herb. Medicinally, the plant acts as a digestive aid and astringent and the juice is antibacterial. You can treat sunburns by making a mash of the berries and applying it directly to affected areas. Nutritionally, they are not only deliciously sweet but are packed with Vitamin C and antioxidants-- an immune boosting value! They are also contain a natural bleaching agent and can help whiten your teeth.

3) 'Holy (Sacred) Green' Basil
Ocimum sanctum
Culturally important and religiously sacred to many cultures, the 'Holy (Sacred) Green' Basil is also known as Ram Tulsi. Like its more colorful counterpart, the 'Holy (Sacred) Red' Basil, studies show that the both may reduce blood pressure, help liver functions and reduce the risk of diabetes. They are both antioxidants, antibacterial and anti fungal, though the 'Holy Green' is milder in flavor than the 'Holy Red'. Try some in your next stir fry for a flavorful dish with medicinal benefits!

4) Salad Burnet
Poterium sanguisorba
A whimsically beautiful herb with a lovely rose aroma, Salad Burnet has medicinal value as an astringent. Easy to grow, even in harsh elements terrain, Salad Burnet has a cucumber-like taste that compliments salads well. Try using some in your wraps, on sandwiches or in soups for a lovely, subtle flavor. Make sure to use the plant's tender leaves, as they get bitter as they grow. Pair it with Rosemary, Oregano, or Dill for a great flavor profile!

5) Sweet Marjoram
Origanum x majoricum
Milder in flavor than its cousin, Oregano, Sweet Marjoram balsam-like flavor is a key ingredient in the culinary herb mixture, Bouquet Garni. A delicious seasoning for soups, stews and meats, make sure that you add it last for a more intense flavor. Make sure to harvest the plant before it goes to flower, for the best tasting results. Aromatically it has a lovely fragrance and symbolizes love and prosperity. Its medicinal benefits also make it worthy of every garden, as it has been known to soothe menstrual pain and act as a digestive aid.

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

Very interesting.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Have grown all of them at sometime. But am unable to do much gardening the last few years. Everything i grow now is in containers.
Salad burnet was a favorite.I always thought it was a pretty plant too.
I still have peppermint,lemon balm and thyme growing around.
Vickie

Charles City, VA(Zone 7a)

The best part about many culinary herbs is that they generally grow well in containers for easier access! I love the foliage and blooms of salad burnet as well -- it reminds me of some whimsical character from a Dr. Seuss book!

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Stevia is another fun herb to grow, especially if you have young children/grandchildren around. I love to watch the little one's eyes pop when they bite into a leaf and find it so sweet.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

I like Stevia too. I grew it for sveral years as i am diabetic. But have'nt lately.
Vickie

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

growers - great list!! I'm staring a garden of medicinal plants to make tinctures and elixirs etc. Wish we had a forum for this topic here on DG!!
On a side note, growers1 here's the link http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1163605/ to our next plant swap being held in Leesburg...have folks coming down from PA etc as it's the Mid-Atlantic group. We'd love to have you join us!!

(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

I really want to try growing stevia.. is it difficult to grow? I buy it in the stores and LOVE it. I have a friend looking for some marjoram right now.. she has been looking everywhere.. any idea where she might find some. She lives in southern CA.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Stevia grows easily for me, but is not hardy so I have to pull it up in the fall. Still experimenting with using the leaf - mostly my granddaughter just nibbles on it raw as a treat. I have added it to teas, but have not tried actually drying it and then incorporating that in place of sugar. Anyone else with some experience?

American Canyon, CA(Zone 9a)

Lhasa,

Any NURSERY, not box store, worth 2 cents should carry Marjoram in their herb section...she could call ahead and check to save driving time.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Plantmum, I was very disappointed to find a dismal selection of herbs in a huge local nursery (Flower World). Calling ahead is definitely a good idea.

American Canyon, CA(Zone 9a)

Bonehead: Well that is dissapointing! They must only be worth 1 cent then.....lol! I work at a nursery and people often call about something. It takes a bit to run out to the back fourty and see if we have such and such tree but I totally understand why they do that.

Providence, RI

Thai Holy Basil I think is different from Ocimum sanctum. I am Hindu, and the Tulasi plants that are considered sacred are rather delicate plants. I also happen to like Thai cuisine, and the basil I see on my plate is often less tender, brighter green, and stems are more fibrous (all in all, it holds up better in the cooking process than the sacred Tulasi would).

In India, people do make teas out of the leaves of Tulasi plants, but for the most part, it is used for religious ceremonies, and consumed afterwards (the curative properties are ascribed to both its religious use, as well as the innate properties of the plant). The sacred Tulasi is never used in cooking. The seeds are used for teas, or to flavor water. Nowadays, the leaves are powdered and dried for the same purpose are commercially available.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the information. I have never tried the seed tea. But plan on it. How do you prepare the seed tea?
Would you mind sharing some of the descriptions of the ceremonys? And what part does the plant share.Am asking out of respect.I'm ashamed to say i know very little of Hindu
Vickie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.