Madison Confederate Jasmine...yikes!

Murfreesboro, TN

This winter here in the Nashville area...it was extra cold/snowy.

My confed. jasmine is not showing any signs of life. Brown.

Should I dig him up now or wait a few weeks?

Crumbcake...I loved that vine & fragrance. Nothing quite like it.

I'm a newbie, many thanks for your input. - Robin

Iowa Park, TX(Zone 7b)

My Confederate jasmine got zapped by the cold this year too. So I bought some more and going to try keeping them in pots. When we lived in south Alabama we had jasmine growing on the ends of a long arbor over our back porch. It never froze in the 9 years we had it. Wow did it ever make sitting out on the back porch a pleasant experience. But I guess Texas just gets too cold for it to be planted in the ground. Maybe you could plant it again and once it is established it will come back every year for you. I don't think it gets as cold in Tenn as it does here.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

We also had a really cold and snowy winter here in Little Rock. However my Confederate Jasmine looks fine. Mine is very well established as it has been in the ground for 14 or more years. I originally planted it to cover a large metal arbor but found it to be really slow growing so I also planted Carolina Jasmine. The Carolina Jasmine really took off. It took several years but suddenly the Confederate Jasmine started growing and like someone mentioned above the scent is heavenly!!! It has now filled in the leggy bottom of the Carolina Jasmine and the 2 have ended up complementing each other. You might plant another one but I would leave the one that looks brown in the ground. It might surprise you and send up some new growth.

Murfreesboro, TN

Thank you much for all the help.

I did buy (2) more & I'll leave by "old brown friend" in the ground for now.

Happy Spring...it is 31 degrees tonight, not fun.

Murfreesboro, TN

Ceperdue...

You were right! My confederate jasmine wasn't dead after all. A couple of small shoots came from the base. Now I wish I hadn't trimmed off all of last years old "dead" growth. I've learned now. Sincere thanks. - Robin

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Glad it came back for you! Mine is blooming now and smells heavenly!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.