Volunteer clematis won't bloom!

Santa Clara, CA(Zone 9b)

Just joined Dave's--hope this hasn't been discussed recently... I have several clematis plants that apparently started from seeds (from nearby plants). I've left them alone for a season or two, and they grow like weeds, but have yet to bloom. Is it best to just pull them out, or will they eventually bloom?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Welcome to Dave's Garden!

Are they seeds of Sweet Autumn clematis? That's the one most people report as seeding "vigorously". They will bloom given time. If you want to move them to another location do it now.

Santa Clara, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks, pirl! The nearby clematis are Fujimusume, Bees Jubilee, and Henryi--but there WAS a Sweet Autumn clematis there once. I pulled it out about five years ago. If that's it, I sure had better move them. Sweet Autumn can really take over. Thanks again!
: )

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Good luck - you'll need it.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

That SAC fooled me too. I had a few seedlings that I was comparing to a Jackmanii and a SAC that had hardly bloomed after a severe cutback and move to the shade.. I kept comparing the leaves and finally concluded it wasn't Jackmanii:(

Athens, PA

Ladybug

The clematis you mentioned are types 2's and 3's. I would cut it back to the first or second node to promote some bushing. I would also give it a dose of fertilizer - rose food would do the trick.

Santa Clara, CA(Zone 9b)

Like bananna18, I was baffled by the leaves--knew they were clematis, but they didn't match any of the nearby plants! I figured maybe that was because they had grown from seed. : ) Now that I know what they are, I can act accordingly. I plan to fertilize the others soon--all my clems are starting to leaf out. Thanks, all!!

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Gosh, and I've been trying to get SAC started from seed for 3 years with no luck, lol! Go figure, teeheehee!

Santa Clara, CA(Zone 9b)

Wouldn't you know it! I think they like to seed in secret. : )
If you like, I can send you one of my seedlings--I have searched my perennial bed and have now found FIVE of them.
Yikes!

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Oh Ladybug, that would be wonderful! I'm not sure why, but those darn seeds just don't like me, lol! I've tried them inside, outside, winter sowing, and every thing I can think of, and still absolutely no luck! I would love to have a seedling or 2 so I won't have to fight those darn seeds anymore, lol! Let me know what I can send you in exchange, or how much postage, or something!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.