Help Please

Woodhull, IL(Zone 5a)

My son just bought a old house and this was left behind so he gave it to me. My DH managed to get it home, but it is almost impossible to roll right now since everything in it is frozen and not been moved for months. Do I just leave it sit until it thaws out? Or try to break the stuff inside up a little somehow? It is probably 1/2 full.

Thumbnail by jjsgramma
Newalla, OK(Zone 7a)

It will defrost faster if its broken up some.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

...but (respectfully) that won't make that much difference in the long run. It's frozen because it's inactive, not that it's inactive becasue it's frozen. It's too small to stay very active on its own. Leave it in the sun to help warm it. Do you have some 'greens' to add? (kitchen waste, manure) They will help once the weather warms enough or the sun shines and warms the thing up.

Newalla, OK(Zone 7a)

True...but I was simply responding to "defrosting" the content.

Hi beverly,
I agree with your answer,
My trying to anticipate further questions may have sounded brusque. Please forgive me.

Newalla, OK(Zone 7a)

Sally...no forgiving necessary!! We're on the same page! :) ♥

: ^)

Woodhull, IL(Zone 5a)

Thank you both very much, I did save some potato peelings, coffee grounds , egg shells. You must be a mind reader my next question was going to be should I continue to add to it while it's frozen. Thanks again :-)

Saint Paul, MN(Zone 4a)

heh, we had one of these but realized it was gone one day. Either someone stole it or a big wind took it.

Woodhull, IL(Zone 5a)

a big wind did take mine out into the corn field about a block a way...but my DH found it and brought it home. It's fuller now and heating up just fine so hopefully it won't blow away again.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.