'Mermaid' rose

Fort Wayne, IN

does anyone have a cutting of the 'mermaid' rose? my husband is planting fruit trees and grape vines in the front yard and thinks he is the only person in the world that won't have people coming into the yard and helping themselves- ha! i want to put a very thorny climbing rose around the front yard. that may make people think about it!

Columbus, OH

I don't have Mermaid, but I have Yankee Lady, it has wicked thorns of doom. It is not a climber, but gets 3' tall. No one with any regard for the integrity of their skin would climb over.

Fort Wayne, IN

lol! that's just what i need! could i get some cuttings from you or trade you something for them. i would pay for postage.
thanks, lou ann

Columbus, OH

Right now, they're covered in snow. Once they sprout...sure. If I had a teenage daughter, I'd plant this under her window for sure. LOL

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I have several teenage daughters. Maybe I should beg for some. ROTF

Columbus, OH

I may have to figure out how to get more cuttings, but this has beautiful, fragrant purple roses over along season, and is fairly disease-resistant, with the thorniest stems ever. I'll take a photo tomorrow, I swear the big thorns have smaller thorns on them.

Fort Wayne, IN

how funny! my son-in-law thinks all roses have thorns and swears that he will only have roses when he plants them under his daughters windows. must admit it is a good idea. anymore it may be a good idea under all the windows, so sad. thank you for the help. look forward to the roses but in no hurry, it will be quite awhile before there's any fruit to steal off the trees!

Columbus, OH

My father had a mini-orchard, six dwarf trees, they were in his yard, but they lived in the country, but it was mowed, adjacent to the house, the trees were pruned, mulched, arranged in a perfect checkerboard, etc. Obviously not some abandoned trees. We saw some random nutbag pull over and start picking fruit...I ran out and asked her what she was doing, and she said that she thought "Well, they were just fruit trees, I didn't know anyone owned them". Really? I know you've never been out of the suburbs before, but wow. Out in the country, we have the self-mowing, self-planting, self-pruning, self-mulching trees.

Fort Wayne, IN

i know what you mean! i don't know how people have the nerve. i think i would starve before i would do that to someone. i guess people that are too lazy to garden have no idea of the time and expense involved in gardening (or maybe they do). we just bought the house last may and had to take out everything- trees and all. the back yard is the southside but has a little wooded area so it gets no sun. my bright idea was to plant in the front, dwarf fruit trees, grape vines, and veggies. i know people will help themselves when the fruit comes on. one woman told me that her daughter left for the weekend, just as the fruit on her plum tree ripened and the neighbors came over and took every piece! it's always been my dream to grow my own fruit. after the years and expense we put into it i won't have some low life take it all from me.

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

I'm retired now, but for the last 20 yrs. I worked at a sand and gravel operation. Along the highway, a berm was built up about 2 feet, since we didn't have the property fenced. We bought and planted tons of wildflower seeds on it and it was really pretty. But, everyday, folks would pull off the highway a bit and pick themselves a bouguet or two or three.
This was in plain site, along a busy highway! It was like they were put there for their enjoyment!

It got so bad, that the State Police asked us to mow them down because there was so many near accidents. Of course, management, wanting to be good citizens, mowed it down. It really frosted me that these folks could ruin something so pretty for all the rest of the passer-bys.

It is raining and cold this morning, but I'm living on faith that the weather folks are correct and it will be in the seventies on Thursday!
Lou

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.