Wisteria

Mulberry, FL

Mines been going to town now for a couple weeks

Thumbnail by Danasplants
Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Lovely! Mine is in bud right now.

Mulberry, FL

When the grounds purple that tells me, mines way up there, thanks!

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

DH planted a baby plant of Wisteria for me. Hope it grows for us and maybe I will have flowers next yr. I'll train it like a shrub.
Very pretty Dana.

Olivette, MO(Zone 6a)

Hi, I love the pretty blooms...georgous!

I'm new to growing wisteria. I'm in zone 6a and planted a Japanese "Rosea" and have never had a bloom. It has grown beautifully over the last year and a half but never a bud. Do they take time in the ground before blooming or do you suppose I'm not giving it something it wants. It gets regular watering and plenty of sunshine. The soil is okay but could have been amended more. It has been mulched in the past with a nice top coating that had some black kow in it but still...nothin'

Thanks,
Susan

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Many plants will take a couple years to get going, and Wisteria have a reputation for sometimes taking a number of years to bloom (as much as 10 yrs) although plants grown from cuttings (as your 'Rosea' would have been) typically shouldn't take quite that long. Still might be year 3 or so before you see much though especially if it was small when you planted it.

Olivette, MO(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the quick reply. It wasn't tiny when I planted it...probably about 4' on bamboo stakes. Its up to about 10' twirling up a flag pole as a trellis. I'm trying to train it for an arbor although I got the vine before the arbor is in place...I'm always getting the cart before the horse :-) Maybe by next year I'll see some "pretties". I hope it doesn't take 10 years.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

It's usually only the seed-grown ones that take that long, so assuming the other conditions are favorable it should hopefully give you some blooms within the next couple years. They need lots and lots of sun, and don't fertilize too much (too much nitrogen can make them grow rampantly but not bloom). Make sure you get a big sturdy arbor--they grow up to be really massive heavy vines so a little dinky arbor won't be a good support for it.

Olivette, MO(Zone 6a)

Thank you so much... I appreciate the advice :-)

Plainfield, PA(Zone 6a)

My wisteria is climbing a dead Maple tree, which should be adequate for a few years. It is thriving - big and beautiful, but no blooms. Unfortunately, it is growing in wet clay soil, which may be the problem. I am hoping to drain some of the water off with a ditch, this summer. But any advice you can give me on how to encourage blooms, will be gratefully received.

Mulberry, FL

I don't even water mine and we go for a month at a time with no water Its as big around as the top of my arm coming out of the ground

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Does it get full sun? That's another thing that can prevent them from blooming. Clay soil on its own isn't necessarily a problem (I had one at my old house that was growing in clay), but it would probably be happier if it gets a chance to dry out between waterings.

Mexia, TX(Zone 8a)

I cant wait till I get one, I love those Wisteria's!

Mulberry, FL

Mine gets afternoon sun growing crazy now doesn't matter we are in a drought

Marshfield, MA

When your Wisteria does take hold and thrive be afraid..Be very afraid. I drive by two detached garages each day and always smiled at how the Wisteria have pulled the buldings to the ground. I have also seen many a trellise, gateway or fence crushed with no regard.

I love the plant and they look great in the treetops with room to wander but pruners in hand they can be tamed. I have a couple from root pruning from known flowering plants but was given seed MANY years ago in another garden and they never flowered. I was told some seedlng never flower due to some sort of male/female thingy.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Wisteria don't have separate male/female plants, and even if they did, male-female issues would cause problems with setting seed not with blooming. Seedlings can take quite a few years before they bloom (over 10 yrs in some cases) but if they're given enough time and other conditions are right (enough sun, etc) they should bloom eventually.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.