Thumbnail by flowAjen
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

omg sun

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

What??? you don't have sun there????

I love watching other people work!

Thumbnail by flowAjen
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Nice view, send some of them my way. Need help. Just put those fairies to work. Patti

Thomaston, CT

Me, too! Have lots of projects, but little ambition!

Naugatuck, CT(Zone 5a)

Me three!

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Four.

Hallowell, ME

5 (can't spell five)

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

6 and counting!!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

no spelling comments please LOL

Thomaston, CT

Am definitely working in the yard today.....many roses need pruning, & I need to start raking out beds.....

Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

I am working outside today, too....trying to figure out what I want to do and playing hooky from working on taxes. The backyard neighbor has started his spring project by pretty much getting rid of all the trees along our back property line. Yowza. It should give me more morning light for the hosta, which is good, but man, it really feels less private back there now. I can't really plant anything to make up for it because it's just a big piece of ledge there.

My two big projects are to make a nice big new hosta bed where the huge pine fell last summer. And I'm thinking about making a new hypertufa fountain to replace my smaller one, which means digging out more Lily of the Valley. Good times!

Pruning question- is this a good time to prune off the dead branches of the Japanese Maples? I'm completely ignorant of when or when not to prune stuff.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I took pix of blooms incase we gat snow again tomorrow.
https://picasaweb.google.com/jgentle4/March30Blooms

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

prune away noreaster

Dead branches can be removed any time. Technically,that is not even considered pruning.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

The after pic

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Here's all the dirt they dug out from that area, so they created this berm for me

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Looking the other way toward the neighbor's house, does it look too high or just right? I read it should be about 2' high????

Thumbnail by flowAjen
Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

WOW!, Jen.

Thomaston, CT

Like the spring blooms, Jo! I pruned most of my roses today, & couldn't believe how many broken branches there were. Jen, what a project for you!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Wasn't planning on doing this project this year, but since I have to do something with that dirt pile...hee hee...

I was talking with the owner and he said his girlfriend is a lanscape architect and aborist...hubby said "don't get any ideas"

Thomaston, CT

Oh, yes, get lots of ideas!

Is that just gravel, Jen? How deep?

South Hamilton, MA

Ideas: couldn't you see scattered crocus & daffs in the spring? then plant around & through them--I bet it will be fun. What does your DH expect, you are going to play in a sand pile?

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Looks like a new Island bed in the making. Have fun. Patti

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

They dug down about 4" and layered with the stones they put under roads( don't know what it's called) they compressed it down with the machine(I walked on it after they compressed it and it was like walking on cement) and then added the 3/8 gravel

Conifers would be perfect for the berm!

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

nice to have extra dirt to play with!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Oh, yes, ideas are good. A planted berm is soooo much prettier to look at.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Do you all think I should curve the front in some?

I would.

Thomaston, CT

Yes.....how about a hardy camellia for the berm?

How much sun in that area, Jen?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Full sun, direct morning sun then shade very late in the day from the spruce behind

Then make sure you mulch that berm!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Oh yeah, definitely

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Jen - love the new look and the new berm. That will look so nice!!! You'll have lots of fun filling it in with new plants. Once you get your plants in mind, let us all know in case we have some we can send you to cut down the cost. What a neat idea! And yes, I'd curve the front for sure!!!

This was yet another new thread for me to catch up on. Whew....where have I been??!! Well, I'm back, Baby!!!

Hallowell, ME

That's a great idea DB (about sending plants).

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Hey, Frank......we addicts have to hang together in feeding each other's (ahem) good habits! lol

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Told my hubby today I need to curve the front and he's like "have fun", does he not realize yet that it IS fun!!!???

Thanks Louise....One of the wonderful things about this site meeting such kind and giving people

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.