Growing morning glories on chicken wire...

Austin, TX

I have a North - NE facing balcony in Austin 8a and I want to grow some vines for privacy on my balcony. I don't get any direct sun until later in the spring/summer and then it's just a sliver in the afternoon. But, it's bright and lots of sunshine. I put up chicken wire thinking I could grow a thick wall of vines for privacy. I found this beautiful Ott's MG yesterday and thought I'd try it. I'm rethinking my idea of needing chicken wire.... should I cut it and wrap it around each post on the balcony? Can it grow through it? Should I just take it down?

Also, I have a little pot I put an english ivy in to the left on the balcony, but am thinking when it grows into the wire, I'll never be able to move that pot! I've got some rectangular boxes, i'm thinking I should put it on the floor and grow the vine from there. I know the ivy would do well in that wire, but not sure about the MG.

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated! Thank you.

Thumbnail by Sirka
Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

You are right about the ivy gluing itself to the wood and through the chicken wire - you would not be able to move the pot unless you cut the ivy loose.

As for the mg's, they will grow through the wire, covering it in a short time span, but I think it would be beautiful.

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

I agree with Kay

Austin, TX

Ok! Thanks so much.

i planted mine to cover a really ugly wire fence worked great. so much nicer to see lovely flowers than wire. i am sure you will like how it looks

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Sirka - I think chicken wire or any kind of fencing / trellis like that is perfect for growing MGs! The vines should cover it nicely and if you are getting plenty of sun there, the vines should bloom beautifully for you! Would love to see a photo when they do! :-)

Mesilla Park, NM

Hi Sirka and Welcome,

IT sounds like a good plan, and chicken wire should work for dense cover. What a great Idea especially for a balcony, nice privacy fence..

A.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.