Coffee Grinds for Bearded Iris??

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

Hola, does anyone use coffee grinds on the ground around their Bearded Iris? Many people do yhis with with their Roses. Don't ask me what it does, but they all swear by the process. So I was thinking about sprinkling them around my BI since I dug up, broke up big clumps and replanted every BI in my garden with fresh soil and bulb food this fall. It has been a longer that usual cold winter and they don't seem to have taken yet, but hopefully soon. Xuling

Lebanon, OR

I make coffee tea from the grounds for my iris seedlings.

D

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks irisloverdee. Xuling

Spicer, MN

That's interesting, Dee. I would do that 'in a minute' when I get back to MN.

I'm here in NE until the middle of April... kind of sitting on 'pins & needles' :o) When reading all the posts about Deer & Rabbits...I am again concerned/afraid of how my Iris beds have survived through the winter. Deer & rabbits & goffers, Oh No!

It's hard to post until I get back to my MN garden. I love reading all your new exciting information and look forward to our Iris Season of 2011!
Thank you! Sharon (#3)

Lebanon, OR

Hi Kiddo knew you not in MI but did not think you had left the planet as I have written you a couple of times.

D

Boise, ID(Zone 5b)

It is my understanding that coffee grounds are highly acidic. Which is why they are used.

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

Coffee grounds are good for all sorts of thing but it does take quite a bit for some plants like JI and Sib. iris as they are heavy feeders,. Miracle grow and MirAcid are great supplements along with the grounds for them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.