Finding a daylilly

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Here's a question mainly for Julie, but anyone else feel free to chime in. I am planning to start a memorial garden on my hillside, mainly with daylillies and iris which seem to have tons of named cultivars. I have located a daylilly called 'Rusty Dupuis' in the PlantFiles, no photo. The notes indicate it was hybridized by Porter in 1962. What does that mean, and is there a way I can track down a source through some daylilly society or something? Thanks.

(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA(Zone 7a)

http://www.americandaylily.com/browse.php?id=DB435&category=daylilies&color=bronze

Here is a site I found when I googled the name + "daylily"

I will look further. Julie hasn't been on DG much lately but she will be here for dinner tonight and I will tell her about your question.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Thank you both! And ol' Rusty Dupuis is a pretty one to boot. Now on to locating "Remembering Mom" -- not at the American Daylilly site, dang it. And the perfect iris will be "Stacy Ruth" which are the first names of my late in-laws. I will try google searching. This will be a fun project.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Stacey Ruth is supposed to be available for $4.00 at this site:

http://www.tsflowers.com/iris.html

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Here is an extensive list of places that sell daylilys:

http://davesgarden.com/products/ps/search.php?search_text=Daylily+%22Remembering+Mom%22&submit=Search

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Kay, thanks - looks like I have my work cut out for me -- first figure out a variety to fit one of my dear departed, then locate a nursery that sells it, and hopefully be able to combine purchases to save on shipping. Good early spring project I'd say. Meanwhile, the guy with the heavy equipment comes over today to look at his project, which is to move a bunch of dirt around for me.

Lake Stevens, WA

So,BH you are starting the project in your backyard?

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Yes, I am so pumped. My son and the neighbor kid were over yesterday painting lines in the grass and talking drainage, big rocks, etc. The mini-excavator should be moved in sometime this week. I'll post photos of work in progress as soon as it starts.

Lake Stevens, WA

I'm so excited for you. Will look forward to the pictures. Like to come up when you are done to see it in person as well as you herb gareden in its full glory. When I was there, 2 years ago, the herb garden was just waking up.

Have fun wilth the project.

(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA(Zone 7a)

Deb, Julie did a memorial garden for my husband when he passed away. It is a very nice thought. Some were name specific and others were thoughts of love or descriptive types, like "Rock Solid". She also found a hybridizer who was willling to name one of his, her choice, for her dad. It is "Remembering Bill's Hugs" and we got enough plants to share with some of our favorite people. Now that she is hybridizing, we are working on names for all of her really good new babies, and that is a lot of fun for us. When you get around to ordering daylilies, we can probably give you a bit of input as to sources.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Sharon, thanks! This project is still in the head planning stage at the moment, with only vague ideas on paper. Good to know where to look though when I do get to the point of actually populating the garden. May be sooner that I think, as I am having an excavator coming in sometime this week.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.