Blooms! 2011 Just 11 days to go!

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Just a reminder to all you Northeasterners that the Boston Flower and Garden Show Blooms! 2011 will be held from March 16-20 at the Seaport World Trade Center in downtown Boston. Among the horticultural delights you will be able to view the Amateur Horticulture competition of which yours truly is the chairperson this year. Come on down and see our work! Also, for the first time, a judged horticultural photography exhibit. Ought to be neat!
Martha

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Enjoy!

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

Victor should enter the photo contest - that is IF he can get time off for good behavior.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

"...time off for good behavior"? Where? When?

Sing Sing Correctional Facility - Probatoin is coming up.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Sorry, Victor, we can't contribute to your rehabilitation this year as all the spots in the exhibit are taken. Maybe next year, when you are out on parole!
Martha

Naugatuck, CT(Zone 5a)

Martha, I have never been to the Boston show. How big is it?

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Our show fills a pretty hefty exhibit hall. The Seaport World Trade Center will have approximately 90,000sqf of garden exhibits, lecture hall and demo stage. There will also be numerous sqf of vendor exhibits on either side of the show floor. Amateur Horticulture, the Floral Design Divisions, Ikebana International and a Judged Photography Competition occupy the rear of the exhibit area. My Amateur Horticulture kingdom is back there. The theme is container gardening this year and I can't wait to see what interpretations come of it. The show runs from March 16-20.
We moved here from the larger Bayside Exposition center down the road last year. We had a large sq footage, but they sold the place and we had to find a new home.
Here's the link to the Massachusetts Horticultural Society and the Flower Show information:
www.masshort.org There is a flower show button on this page that will lead you to everything you need to know.
Hope you can make it to the show!
Martha

Naugatuck, CT(Zone 5a)

Thanks, I am going to try to make it.

Upper Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5a)

Martha - I'm taking the AAA bus tour out of Albany to the Boston Flower show with a friend. I'm also meeting a d-mail friend from DG for the first time at the flower show. We are going on Saturday - March 19. Maybe I will see you there! Eleanor

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Eleanor,
I can be there on the 19th. Dmail me with your arrival time and I will meet you at the bus. As queen of AmHort, my show badge gets me in anytime I want. I can also be part of the early morning watering crew that day and make useful the waiting time. I hope I have a blue ribbon to show off!
Martha

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

I would love to go to the show this year. I went last year and it was so nice. Lots of wonderful exhibits and fantastic ideas.

Karen

Martha - We will be arriving about 11:00 on the morning of March 19. I'm very excited as I have never been to the Boston Flower Show before, or any for that matter! I look forward to meeting you. Eleanor

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Eleanor, you'll love it. Oh, btw, there's a daylily called Queen Eleanor. Here's a pic of it. I have it.

Karen

Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily

Thanks Karen for posting the photo of Queen Eleanor. That's one I'll have to get.
Martha - what part of the World Tade Center is the flower show being held in? Is there a place that would be easy to find so I can meet up with a friend? Neither she or I know the World Trade Center at all. I googled the Center to find a map of the place and I'm lost already. It looks like it as big as my whole town LOL!! Eleanor

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Dear Eleanor,
The World Trade Center is a big rectangular box. There is a main entrance foyer from the street. It's got the ticket booths on the left as you go in and steps or escalators on the right, I forget exactly which. This is probably where you will be let off the bus. I would tell you to meet me and your friend there.
Just inside the main door to the show is the huge circular garden from Miskovsky Landscaping. The rest of the show spreads out behind that. At the very opposite end to this will be Amateur Horticulture in rooms to the right and Amateur Floral Design in rooms to the left. The center hallway back there will be filled with the Photography competition. I will have to supervise watering earlier that morning and so will be there to meet you in the foyer as your bus arrives.
Take care! I can't wait to meet you!
Martha

Thanks so much Martha!! Eleanor

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

You're welcome, Eleanor, and have fun at the show. I don't know if I'll go yet. We'll see.

Karen

Naugatuck, CT(Zone 5a)

I can't wait!!! I am going on Friday morning, hubby is driving MIss Daisy!

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Have a wonderful time!

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Eleanor!
I am so sorry! I got recruited by Mass Hort to help out at an exhibit at the back and when I started forward swimming upstream through the crowds to the front of the hall to meet your bus at 11, I didn't make it to the front until 11:30. I so wanted to meet you! I was there with you in spirit!!!
Did you enjoy the trip?
Martha

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Gardenmart, did you have a good time?

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Amateur Horticulture was a great success. Much fine plant material and several plant collections were entered in our exhibit this year. The judges saw fit to award many cultural certificates to the exhibitors which are awarded for perfection of the plant material and the skill of the gardener involved. The photography exhibit was also excellent and beautifully displayed.
Here's a picture of some of our Aloe and Haworthia entries. The big aloe tree in the left rear was THE most popular plant in the show. It put up a flower stalk while it was sitting on the flower show bench. It was the plant the most people wanted to take home. I had another floor display and 16 three tier benches of exhibits. Lots of nifty begonias and a few but choice hanging basket specimens.
I am still sorry I missed Eleanor but it was a complete crush on Saturday morning.

Martha

Thumbnail by gardenmart
Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

So glad to hear everything went so well. I so wanted to go. I went last year. I had won free tickets from a local radio station. Maybe I'll get to go next year. I would like to know how to enter photos in the photo exhibit. Sorry you missed Eleanor.

Karen

Hi Martha - We had a wonderful time, but I could see why you didn't get to the entrance. OMG - it was so packed. We were probably heading for the back when you were trying to get to the front. We couldn't see anything at the front by the entrance at 11:00 so we started with the back exhibits. Thanks for thinking of us!! Eleanor

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Karen,
I can put you in touch with the chairperson of the photo exhibit and make sure you see a copy of the exhibit schedule which outlines the categories. The schedule was posted on line as was the entry form. It was very, very popular and I understand that there was a waiting list as there were only 36 entries allowed in six categories. I was not the chair of this nor would I be next year but I can certainly let you know when the schedule goes out and the entry form goes up online.
Martha

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Martha, that would be fantastic! Yes, please do. Thank you!

Karen

Thomaston, CT

I would love to go again as well....I don't want to drive that distance, however, so I would need a bus trip......

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Yes, that would be a long drive for you. I might take the train in next time.

Karen

Atkinson, NH(Zone 5a)

Check out Liza and John's Garden lots of photos of the BOSTON FLOWER SHOW http://www.jwlwgardens.com/?p=3978

Have a wonderful day,
John

Thumbnail by JWLW
Thomaston, CT

John, great photos....thanks for taking me there!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.