Fragrant Canna?

Mountain View, CA(Zone 9b)

Hello. Does anyone know if there are any varieties of canna that are fragrant? Thanks!
Michelle

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

Cannas are not fragrant. Well, so far anyhow .. :)

Louisville, KY

A species in Chile with white to green flowers is said to have a slight soap like fragrance.

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

Green flower oh I would be on that waiting list!! Scented would be fantastic also, hopefully it's not a myth

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

That is supposed to be true, but no one has successfully gotten it to grow out of habitat.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canna_liliiflora

Hmmm, a soapy scent? Not sure about that... guess that depends on what kind of soap it smelled like :) Interesting though.
Well, I hadn't heard of any cannas being fragrant, but I thought I'd ask just in case something was available after all.
I do most of my gardening in containers. Most of these containers are on a deck where company doesn't usually see them, so I'm wanting to grow flowers that I can use as cut flowers. That way, I can bring them in to share with others. And since I can't see, I'm leaning more toward growing fragrant flowers or those with interesting shapes or textures. I understand that the canna flowers don't work so well as cut flowers, but I have heard that the canna leaves can be used in a vase. However, I've never tried it. I'm not sure where to cut them.
Anyway, my cannas desperately need thinning, and I want to use the container for other plants. I'm considering keeping one of the tubers, but giving the others away for postage. Perhaps I can plant the one I keep in a container to keep where company will be able to see it and enjoy it. It won't be as warm/sunny as where it is now, but I'll see how it does.
Thanks for your replies!
Michelle

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

Canna blooms can be used as cut flowers, but they will only last for one day. If only an immediate bouquet is needed, they work great :)
Leaves, however, will last a long time are are excellent used in arrangements.

Hi, Abutilon.
Good to know about the flowers, though I like flowers to last longer if I'm putting them in a vase, especially if I don't have many of them.
The leaves on the cannas I have join to the main stalk almost immediately (not much stem between the leaf itself and the stalk). Where do you cut them for use in an arrangement?
Thanks!
Michelle

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.