Where are you going to get your seeds and plants this season

Dearborn, MI

It's time to think spring and seeds and plants. I was wondering if the gardeners here in Michigan have recommendations on the best places to purchase these items.

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

HI Namcy

We've got about 800 tomato plants started last week in the G.H.
30 different varieties.

Paul

Dearborn, MI

Love to see your list. I know where you will be getting your tomatoes. Master Gardeners of Wayne Co.

Clinton Township, MI(Zone 6a)

My favorite greenhouse is Hilltop Greenhouse & Farm in Ann Arbor. Great selection, great prices. Love the staff.

I also like Alexander's Farm Market in Whitmore Lake. They have an awesome selection of $.99 perennials, and lots of other great stuff.

And far from me, but worth the trip, is Garden Crossings in Zeeland. Rod and Heidi are AWESOME!

Jennifer

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Nancy
Dmail me your email and I'll send you our list.

I thought I had it but I don't.
Get they get the heat going in the B.I. G.H.?

Paul

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi Jennifer do u mail order or drive to all those places? :)

Just wondering ... :D

Delane

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

so Paul what do you do with 800 tomato plants??

:)

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Our Master Gardener group sells them as a fund raiser.

Dearborn, MI

For "upscale" perennials, I go to Tellys in Troy or Bordines (various locations). Your dollar won't go too far, but there is bound to be perennials you've never seen before or you didn't know existed and now have to have. A more reasonable alternative with a pretty good selection is Schwatz's on Sibley in Romulus.

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

I really like Ray Wiegands in Macomb, it's quite a drive for us but we usually get out there once a season.

I think everyone knows about Blocks for bargains.

Delane,
I used to live in Ann Arbor so I drove to Hilltop and Alexanders. Neither do mail order

I do drive to Garden Crossings once a year when my mom comes to visit. They do mailorder but the prices are cheaper if you go there directly.

jennifer

Dearborn, MI

I believe Garden Crossings is the retail arm of Walters Gardens, which is a bareroot and plug wholesaler from Zeeland. They always seem to have the latest and greatest selection. Would be a fun trip. How much cheaper are they then their website, which is pretty pricey.

If you go to their website and click on the Garden Center tab it takes you to the local screen. Midway down the right side is a "Garden Center Login". You can create an account and that will give to the pricing for shopping there.

You can also order everything you want and they will hold it for you to pick up. I find that very convenient especially since its quite a drive for me. Don't want to be disappointed when I get there and all the latest and greatest is sold out!

jennifer

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

Paul I do go to Wiegands quite a bit during the season I only live 10ish or so mins. away :).. They do have Quality product so I don't mind at all paying the extra buck at times...

Nancy I'm always up for a fun trip :).....especially for the latest and greatest!!! :)

Jennifer I used to live in Roseville off of Utica Rd between 13 mile and Common rd. on "Castle" before we moved here ;)

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

I get my new hostas from Hallson Gardens in Cement City. They also carry various other lilies, ferns, and perennials. Mail order is the same price as picking the plant in person, but they also include a bonus plant in mail orders.

I also second Telly's in Troy for finding something new. It's nice to just wander around and see the plants in person.

Dearborn, MI

So far, I've been to the following spots:
Blocks, but of course
Schwartzes
English Gardens
Bordines
Van Ottighams (wrong spelling) in Bay City.
Errer's in Bad Axe. Bought lots there. They had a lovely selection of Proven Winner shrubs.
Still will make the pilgrimage to Tellys. I find things there I didn't know existed. That takes a little, since I spend lots of time window shopping on the web.
And, of course, my biggest shopping trip of all, the annual plant sale of the Belle Isle Botanical Society next weekend at the Greenhouses on Belle Isle in Detroit. And the money I spend there goes for a good cause.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.