what makes a terrarium a terrarium?

Marysville, OH(Zone 5b)

Making a terrarium sounds so fun. I'd like to try one. I was trying to figure out what kind of container to use, and for that matter how to do it. I came across a site talking really basic stuff about building one. This would be just what I need with my absense of knowledge. However, one of the examples the poster showed was a bunch of wine glasses, each filled to the top with soil and sand and with 1 little succulent planted in the middle. What makes that a terrarium instead of just a potted plant? Now I'm confused again.

The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Hiya muttlover,
Basically a terrarium is:
A partly or entirely closed glass container used to house a collection of indoor plants.
Most terrariums are transparent.

They are pretty simple to set up and are too much fun to keep. If you do a little research either in the forum or on the web you can find instructions for setting them up.Any clear glass fish bowl or old aquarium could work. Depending on what plant you put in it and your growing conditions will determine if you keep it covered all the time or if you let it be open. They are pretty versatile and almost any house plant will grow in them.
There are endless possibilities and I had a collection for years...

I'm sure other will add their ideas,too.
Enjoy!
MsC

Marysville, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks. The wine glass "terrariums" were not enclosed and the plants were above the glasses (except for the roots) because the dirt came all the way to the top of the glass. There was only one plant per glass. I don't understand how the instructor could call them terrariums. Your description sounds much more like what I thought one should be.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.