parmas and other scented violets

Greensboro, NC(Zone 8a)

Hi all, (i've been missing for about a year)..anyone else growing parma & other fragrant violets? I have several of each but of course would like more!!!

Searcy, AR(Zone 7b)

Is it too late to plant viola seeds outside . The ones I have are perennials. I am in zone 7a . It is already pretty warm here. Was 85 yesterday. Suppose to be around 70's to 80's all week. If not viola what can i plant seed wise . I am new at the seeds , so any help would be appreciated

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

Hi Dabneyrose, yes, I'm growing a collection of v. odorata varieties, e.g., "Rosina"; "Fair Oakes", etc. I'm anxiously awaiting for the new odorata "Miracle" series to reach the retail market in the U.S.; they appear to be only available in Europe presently.

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Quote from catloverrachel :
Hi Dabneyrose, yes, I'm growing a collection of v. odorata varieties, e.g., "Rosina"; "Fair Oakes", etc. I'm anxiously awaiting for the new odorata "Miracle" series to reach the retail market in the U.S.; they appear to be only available in Europe presently.

Oh, please do tell us about the 'Miracle' series. do you have any pictures?

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

No, I don't have any pictures, but you can find some by Googling viola Miracle.

Searcy, AR(Zone 7b)

The viola seeds I planted are coming up in my flower bed. I am surprised since it didn't go thru a freeze. Maybe it was cold enough at night to do it. Although my nasturtiums are not so if they are not up by the 23rd I will replant.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 8a)

sorry, i've been MIA for a while...Rachel, how did your violets do through the summer heat? I lost most of mine to a virus (?) ( i ordered them from Oregon so maybe they didn't like the heat + humidity)...but i have a few left. The parmas did quite well this summer. : )

My violets got nibbled by the deer, so it is time to spray (Liquid Fence) again. That will tell me that the deer have been nibbling on other things as well. They are still alive, however as they are hardy little things - sweet violets - Viola odorata. I have purple, white, rose and apricot. I am looking for yellow.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 8a)

Hi evelyn...do you sell/trade any? I used to have more but they got left behind in our move from Ark. I have an effective deer fence but the rabbits nibble mine.
I could trade a parma or two; i've got a purple, white & what the trade calls 'pink' but it's a soft purple (i'd have to go look up the names)
the white parma is 'Alba Plena'

Thumbnail by dabneyrose

I do not have any parmas, but would like to have some. Would they live over winter here? Mine are not labeled so I will know what they are when they bloom, as I get more each season. I let them run wild in the shrubs near the sides of the house. I just have V. odorata.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 8a)

Parmas can take it down to 20 degrees..i think there were a few nights last winter i covered them w/ pine branches...i would love an apricot & or pink sweet!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 8a)

I have Roy E Coomb's book 'Violets the history & cultivation of scented violets' and apparently there used to be 100s of named cultivars! O to be able to go back in time & visit those 'violet houses'!

Yes, maybe we were born too late for that. Violets are underappreciated in this modern society.

When mine bloom, I can send you some if you like. I have to wait until they bloom as they are constantly re-seeding as well as getting eaten by the deer. They live on the north side of the house, though there are some now on the east side as well. Most of them are purple V.odorata.

I'll let you know when the time comes. I would love to have a Parma or three....

Here is a picture of the white one...

Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden
Greensboro, NC(Zone 8a)

That would e wonderful! In the meantime i can be increasing mine by runners..thank you! : )

Do they still have a Violet Society? (I doubt it...LOL!!)

Greensboro, NC(Zone 8a)

I don't remember one for this country but it's worth checking into again!

I found it, much to my surprise! It is:

http://www.americanvioletsociety.org

Greensboro, NC(Zone 8a)

i found that once too, but i'm not sure it's been updated in a few years!

New York, NY(Zone 7a)

I found "Bride White", one of the "Miracle Series" viola odorata plants, at (I think) Peconic River Nursery on Long Island in NY. But it didn't survive Sandy, and I'm not seeing a US source online. It's been 2 years -- you'd think it would be available here.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.