I found a GREAT nursery selling Mesa Salvias!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Hello All,

It has been a challenge finding a nursery that sells this hybrid Salvia. I'm thrilled I found a wonderful nursery that carries the 4 colors:

'Rose' Mesa (fuschia)
'Purple' Mesa (purple)
'Scarlet' Mesa (red)
'Azure' Mesa (lavender)...newest color

I just placed my order for several of each of the 'Rose, 'Purple' and 'Azure' Mesa plants...WooHoo! I'm not getting any 'Scarlet' since I have several red blooming plants...

I love these plants and our local nurseries only offered them in 2009 and that was it...Grrrrrr.
For those who want to see these plants in pics, I put 2 lovely pics of 'Rose' and 'Purple' Mesas we had in our gardens that one year in this thread...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/943305/

I added another pic of the 'Purple' Mesa plant to this post which is next to 'Maraschino' Salvia.

Here is the link to the nursery...
http://wrightgardens.com/garden/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=mesa+salvia

Here's a link to the scoop at the Garden Watchdog...AWESOME reviews!
http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/2660/

Susan

Thumbnail by SusanLouise
Naugatuck, CT(Zone 5a)

I will make sure to check them out. Thanks for the heads up.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Hello Dem2rd,

I'm glad to help and I appreciate you taking the time to respond :)

BTW, I lived in Derby the 1st 2 years of my life, then in Branford, for 38 years...also had relatives in Seymour and Ansonia too...

Naugatuck, CT(Zone 5a)

Wow, how did you end up so far from CT?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I have planted my salvia and agastache seeds, man, they are very small, after a week of being under the light, I have seen green specks coming up. Do the salvias bloom first year, I know the agastaches are. I am very happy if they all survive, last year I bought my first agastaches, orange color and I was hoping to grow some from seed.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Quote from dem2rd :
Wow, how did you end up so far from CT?

I got married when I was 40. Since it was a long distance relationship, one of us had to move ;)

Naugatuck, CT(Zone 5a)

LOL, now I see. How do you like the area?
Hey kiseta, fancy meeting you here! I think some bloom first year, not sure which ones.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Hi dear, dem2rd, I also had ordered some salvias from Vincent gardens, some beginner plants. One of them are Salvia black and blue, she said it is pretty tall, have you grow any of them.? She also had some Hot lips salvia, can't hardly wait, she will ship them mid April. I have your picture with blue clematis in middle and peonies around them on my background. It is very nice, my dream garden.

Naugatuck, CT(Zone 5a)

Yes, I have had the black and blue, but up here it's a tender annual.The plan with the Clem sound great, hope you take some pic's!

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Hi Kiseta, I have black and blue salvia. Also some others. If you come to the plant swap in Douglas,, I will share some with you. In return for some of those goodies to eat..LOL

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Ok folks, this thread was for my original posting of sharing info for those interested in Mesa Salvias. Even I admittedly got off topic myself about living in CT. Lets get back on topic please...
Thank you :)

This message was edited Mar 12, 2011 1:52 AM

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Sorry, we are having Spring fever. And it feels good.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Susan I planted a Scarlet and an Azure Mesa last spring, they're making a come-back. I'm getting ready for the hummers here too. :)

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Hello Lily,

I can't wait to see the lavender blooms on the Azure and I think it will look pretty next to the purple too. Did your Azure get as big as the Scarlet one? :)

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

lol spring fever

Yes, to whoever was asking do they bloom the first year.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Spring fever it's! lol realbirdlady. Susan, I apologize for not getting back to your question. I couldn't rely on my memory so have tried to go back and dig into the old pics. file. None to be had. lol. But from what I see remaining on the old shrubs. The answer is no, nothing could compare to Scarlet I don't think.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Tadah! My Mesa Azure's first debut for the season.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6a)

I have heard recently that young people are getting high from injesting Salvia. I don't know if that applies to all Salvias . but better to plant them out of streetside view.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

arfitz, I'm thankful there is not many "youngsters" around here. There are certain species of Salvias but not this one I don't believe. We need to educate, pray for our young nowaday.

Candor, NC

Amongst the street crowd, Salvia means only Salvia divinorum, for those who know anything about it. There are a lot of people, alas, who conclude the whole genus is loaded with Salvinorin A, the active principle.

This not only is a headache for nurserymen and lovers of the genus, but for law enforcement as well. Thanks to the CSI shows, everyone thinks forensic work is fast, efficient, and readily available. This is simply not true, and there have been such pile-ups for plant samples to be analyzed by state and major city forensic scientists that the Alaska Department of Public Safety did a research project to screen species of Salvia for Salvinorin A. I know, because I supplied the research scientist with many of the samples, and advised him on other aspects of his research. The work was done on behalf of other forensic labs and the result should now be published.

The result was that the active ingredient was found in just Salvia divinorum, no other species. There are many other neo-clerodane diterpenes in new world sages, but none of them have shown the same activity as Salvinorin A.

As you might gather, my background is in natural products chemistry. Growing salvias was a hobby, now my main endeavor.

This message was edited Apr 29, 2011 10:03 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.