Heucheras—on vacation or hibernation

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

This has been a lonely forum this winter. I left most of my heucheras outside to hibernate for the winter, and they were covered with snow for 2 full months. I brought one inside to go on vacation, and that's just what it did, relaxing without a lot of growth.

Now that the snows have cleared, I've checked my heucheras in containers, and they're a sad lot, but look like they've survived.

They only thing I can say is that without leaves, it is easy to ID the crowns.

How did your heucheras fare?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Haven't checked yet but Citronelle has always done best over winter.

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Mine are under 3+ feet of snow and a -30 temp so it will be a while before I can tell you. I'm looking forward to seeing which of my Zone 4 and 5 make it through as I do tend to push that zone envelope just for fun.
Ann

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

They are coming back from vacation. Miracle and Caramel.

Doug

Thumbnail by postmandug
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

One of my many natives.

Thumbnail by postmandug
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

A whole area of natives. Americana and Villosa and even a Tiarella creeping between some on the upper shelf.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Forgot the pic...

Thumbnail by postmandug
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Plum Royale

Thumbnail by postmandug
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Sweet Tea Heucherella

Thumbnail by postmandug
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

One of my favorites. The shot doesn't do the color justice. Dolce Black Currant

Thumbnail by postmandug
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Dolce Creme Brulee after the deer found the sald bar..

Thumbnail by postmandug
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

And finally, Berry Smoothie

Thumbnail by postmandug
Lake Stevens, WA

Good looking heuchera!! I though these plants were deer resistant. Guess you have one deer who likes them. 'Plum Royale' has amazing color! I have that one too and feel it is one of the best from the new ones coming out. Mine are growing but nothing like yours. Thanks for the pictures.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

My understanding is that deer will eat anything if hungry enough, even toxic plants.

Those heucheras look great; some look like they're ready to bloom. I hope my sweet tea heucherella will end up as well as yours. It spent the winter in a large container but isn't doing much right now. I'm hoping it will pick up with the warm weather.

Your Miracle and Caramel are really terrific. Have you divided any of them?

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Miracle and Caramel I have divided. The deer ate off a lot of what I posted but some have come back even stronger so I gave a few a haircut myself and they responded with vigor. This Southern Comfort looked like the Creme Brulee just two weeks ago by the deer not me!

Doug

This message was edited Apr 14, 2011 7:26 PM

Thumbnail by postmandug

Great plants, Doug. I think heuchera really benefit from a spring haircut.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

I think I've lost EVERY heuch that had Peach in it's name so I just gave up on them. Like others I also lost Melting Fire more than once but never again. The Dolce series has been very reliable and hardy (for me and the deer). Need to look up some more of them. Who's the breeder on those? Solomons Seals also back from the winter trip!

Doug

Thumbnail by postmandug

The peach heuchera have never done well for me. I'm the kiss of death for them. Each year they grow smaller so either this year or next they'll totally disappear = less work for mother. I have enough others that I love so I won't torture myself with the peach ones again. I can enjoy them at garden centers.

Thumbnail by pirl
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

That's one of my peeves with heuchs and hostas, you can buy a zillion different cultivars but some look so similar it really doesn't make good sense.

Doug

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I have at least 4 heuchera plants that all look the same to me regardless of the tags. I usually bring in 1 or 2 peachy/red plants for the winter and they get to relax for the winter in the window. I have both Georgia Peach and Peach Melba. The Georgia Peach was outside this winter and did well. It is now ready to divide.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.